Vangi bhaji recipe - lightly spiced, sweet and tangy dry curry made with eggplants, spices and ground peanuts.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
main ingredients for vangi bhaji
- 300 grams vangi (brinjals or baingan or eggplants or aubergines) - small or medium sized
- 1 teaspoon seedless tamarind soaked in 2 tablespoon warm water
- 2 teaspoon kala masala or goda masala
- 2 tablespoon peanuts
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon jaggery powder or grated jaggery or as required
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) or adjust as per taste
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
for tempering vangi bhaji
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
preparation for vangi bhaji recipe
Rinse and then quarter the vangi (baingan or eggplants) if they are small or else chop them into medium sized pieces.
Place them in salted water for 15-20 minutes.
Warm 2 tbsp water and add 1 tsp tamarind in it.
Soak the tamarind in the water for 20-25 minutes.
Squeeze the tamarind pulp from the soaked tamarind and keep aside.
Roast the peanuts on a pan till they become crisp and have a few black spots on them.
Once they cool down, grind the peanuts to a powder in a coffee grinder or in a mortar-pestle and keep aside.
making vangi bhaji
Heat oil in a pan. crackle the mustard seeds first.
Add the asafoetida and turmeric powder.
Stir and add the drained vangi (aubergines) and tamarind pulp. stir and then cover the pan.
Simmer on a low flame for 4-5 minutes. do check in between and stir.
Remove the lid and add red chili powder, goda masala/black masala, jaggery and salt.
Stir and then cover the pan and let the brinjals cook till soft.
Do check in between and give a stir.
If the mixture looks dry, then sprinkle some water if required.
Once the brinjals are cooked, add the peanut powder and saute for 1-2 minute.
Check the taste and add more salt, red chili powder, goda masala or jaggery if required
Lastly add grated coconut and coriander leaves. give a final stir.
Serve vangi bhaji hot with chapatis, phulkas or as a side dish with dal-rice