puffed rice recipe
this puffed rice recipe is a light snack made with puffed rice & a few spices. this spiced puffed rice snack is healthy and easy to make.
Prep Time1 min
Cook Time4 mins
Total Time5 mins
for roasting puffed rice
- 2 cups puffed rice - murmura, pori, mandakki, muri
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 sprig curry leaves 10 to 12 leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- black salt or white salt or himalayan salt- add as per taste
for serving puffed rice:
- 1 or 2 tablespoon fine sev - optional
- 1 medium size potato - boiled, peeled and chopped - optional
in a heavy pan or wok, heat oil. keep the flame to a low and add the curry leaves.
fry for some seconds till the curry leaves become crisp. add the turmeric and asafoetida.
quickly stir and immediately add the puffed rice.
roast the puffed rice for a couple of minutes till they become crisp. do not brown them.
add salt and mix again.
let the puffed rice snack cool at room temperature.
when serving murmura chaat, add some boiled potatoes and top up with sev. you can drizzle some lemon juice if you want.
- the puffed rice recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- make a large batch and store in an air-tight container.
- you can add your favorite spices or herbs while tempering.
- to make a spicy puffed rice add red chilli powder.