paneer green peas bhurji
spicy blend of scrambled cottage cheese with green peas, onions, green chilies, tomatoes and indian spices.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 200 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- 100 grams green peas or ½ cup green peas
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped or 80 to 90 gms tomatoes
- 2 small onions, finely chopped or 50 gms onion or about ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- 2 to 3 garlic & ½ inch ginger, crushed to a paste in a mortar-pestle
- 1 or 2 green chilies, slit or chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) julienne
- ½ tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon oil or ghee or butter
- salt as required
heat ghee in a pan. add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
now add the onions. fry the onions till light golden or golden.
add the ginger garlic paste and saute till their aroma passes away. add chopped tomatoes.
saute the tomatoes till the they become mushy and you can see the fat leaving the sides.
add all the turmeric powder and red chili powder. stir.
now add the fresh or frozen matar/peas.
add 1 to 1.5 cups water. also add salt.
cover the pan with the lid and cook the matar/peas on a medium flame for 10-12 minutes. frozen peas will take less time to cook as compared with fresh peas.
check in between to see if the water has dried up or not. add more water if required.
crumble the paneer/cottage cheese in the meantime.
once the matar are cooked through and the water has dried up, add the crumbled paneer.
stir for 1-2 minutes or till the paneer gets cooked. also add slit green chilies.
add the kasuri methi and garam masala. garnish with coriander leaves & ginger julienne.
serve paneer peas bhurji hot with chapatis, parathas or bread.