vegetable yakhni pulao
yakhni pulao recipe - vegetarian version of fragrant yakhni pulao from hyderabadi cuisine.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
for the bouquet garni
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ tablespoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 inch ginger + 5 to 6 small to medium garlic cloves, crushed
for vegetable yakhni
- 1.5 cups chopped veggies like cauliflower, carrots, french beans, peas
- ½ cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 5 cups water
- salt as required
for veg yakhni pulao
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 cup basmati rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 2 to 3 small tej patta
- 1 medium sized onion, thinly sliced or ⅓ cup sliced onions
- 3 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 4 to 5 black peppers (kalimirch)
- 3 cloves (lavang)
- 3 tablespoons fresh curd (yogurt or dahi)
- salt as required
for the garnish
- 1 small sized onion, thinly sliced or or ⅓ cup sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander or mint leaves
- 12 to 15 cashews (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
making bouqet garni
take coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and crushed ginger+garlic in a muslin cloth.
tie the muslin cloth securely with the spices inside it. this is the bouquet garni.
making vegetable yakhni (veg stock)
heat 5 cups of water. add 1.5 cup mixed chopped veggies, green peas and salt as required.
also place the bouquet garni in the pan along with the veggies. cook the veggies till they are half done.
squeeze the bouquet garni and discard away the spices.
through a strainer strain the stock/yakhni and keep the veggies aside.
strain and take 2 cups stock. remaining veg stock can be added to any soup, dal or gravy dish.
making vegetable yakhni pulao
rinse 1 cup basmati rice. then soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a pan.
add the other whole spices - cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves, black cardamom and peppercorns. fry till they are fragrant.
add sliced onion. fry the onion till they are browned.
add the soaked and drained basmati rice. stir the basmati rice well.
now add the half cooked veggies and 2 to 2.25 cups of the broth (yakhni). add salt if required. we have already added salt to the yakhni. keep this in mind before adding the salt.
add curd (yogurt). mix well.
cover with a tight lid. i have wrapped the lid with a cotton cloth or kitchen napkin to cook yakhni pulao on dum.
cook for 15 to 20 minutes on dum on a low flame.
later open the pan. if the rice appears not be completely cooked and the mixture looks dry, just add some warm yakhni/broth to the rice. gently stir with a fork. cover tightly and cook yakhni pulao for a few minutes more.
if there is some stock in the pulao, then do not add any extra veg stock. just cover the pan and cook yakhni pulao further for some more minutes.
garnishing yakhni pulao
take one tablespoon ghee or oil in a pan. add ⅓ cup thinly sliced onions.
once the onion changes to light brown color. you can add some cashews and fry with the onion. fry till the onion becomes golden brown.
garnish yakhni pulao with fried onions and fried cashew nuts and some chopped coriander or mint leaves.
serve veg yakhni pulao hot with onion raita or with onion mint kuchumber.