chickpea rice recipe - an aromatic pulao made with white chickpeas (garbanzo beans or kabuli chana)
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
main ingredients for chana pulao
- ¾ cup white chickpeas (safed chana or kabuli chana or chole)
- 1 cup heaped basmati rice, 200 grams rice
- 1 medium to large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 pinch garam masala powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch saffron strands - optional, (kesar)
- ½ teaspoon lemon or lime juice or 1 teaspoon yogurt (dahi or curd)
- 2 tablespoon ghee or oil
- 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking the rice
- a few chopped mint leaves for garnish (or coriander keaves)
- salt as required
whole spices for chana pulao
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (shahjeera)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 2 small green cardamom (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 2 single thin strand of mace (jayitri or javitri)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
for the green paste
- ¾ inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
- 3 to 4 garlic, chopped (lahsun)
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves, chopped (pudina patta)
- 3 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped (dhania patta)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ to 1 tablespoon water for grinding
preparation for chana pulao
rinse and soak the chana (white chickpeas or chole) overnight or for 8 to 9 hours in enough water.
drain them well.
then add the drained chana to the pressure cooker. add 3 to 3.5 cups water.
also add about 1/2 tsp of salt and pressure cook for 12 to 14 whistles or more, till the chickpeas are tender and cooked well.
drain the cooked chana and keep aside.
rinse the rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch.
then soak the rice in enough water for 30 mins. strain and keep aside.
make a smooth paste of the ingredients, mentioned under 'green paste' in a chutney grinder or magic bullet with very little water. keep this green paste aside
slice the onion and chop the tomato.
making chana pulao
in a pressure cooker heat ghee or oil and add all the whole spices – caraway seeds, cardamoms, mace, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf.
saute the whole garam masala or whole spices for some seconds till fragrant, and then add the sliced onions.
saute the onions till golden brown.
now add the green paste and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic goes away. add the chopped tomatoes and saute for two minutes.
next add the turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder.
saute the tomatoes for a minute or so and add the basmati rice. mix well and saute the entire mixture for a minute.
add the drained cooked chana (chickpeas).
add the curd or lemon juice, saffron threads and again mix everything well.
now add 1.75 cups of water.
season with salt and pressure cook chana pulao for 2 to 3 whistles. i pressure cooked for 2 whistles.
when the pressure settles down on its own, then open the lid of the cooker.
gently fluff the chana rice.
garnish the chana pulao with coriander leaves or mint leaves.
serve chana pulao hot with raita, pickle, papad or any veg salad.
this chana rice recipe can also be made in a pot or pan.
- just add 2 cups water to the rice in a deep pot or pan.
- cover and cook till the rice grains are done and all the water is absorbed.
Calories: 526kcal | Carbohydrates: 89g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 856mg | Potassium: 700mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 895IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 4.3mg