coriander coconut chutney
this cilantro coconut chutney goes well with south indian snacks like idli dosa, vada and uttapam.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
main ingredients for green coconut chutney
- ¾ tightly packed coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- ¾ cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger, chopped (adrak)
- 1.5 or 2 tablespoon of roasted chana dal
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice or add as required
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt as required
- ½ cup water or add as required
for tempering green coconut chutney
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ¾ teaspoon urad dal (split and husked black gram)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon oil
grind coriander leaves, grated coconut fresh or frozen, roasted chana dal, ginger, green chili, sugar, lemon juice along salt and ½ cup water or as required. grind till smooth.
taste the chutney and add more salt, sugar or lemon juice if required. stir well.
heat oil in a small frying pan.
add the mustard seeds & urad dal.
let the mustard seeds splutter and the urad dal get browned.
add asafoetida and curry leaves.
fry for some seconds.
pour this tempering mixture along with the oil, over the coconut chutney and stir.
serve cilantro coconut chutney with idli, dosa or vada.