vrat ke dahi aloo recipe
Dahi aloo recipe for Navratri fasting - a light curry made from potatoes and yogurt
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time8 mins
Total Time28 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 extra large potato or 2 medium size potatoes (aloo)
- 1 cup dahi (curd or yogurt)
- 1 cup water, add more if required
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), don't add if making for religious fasting or vrat
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ inch ginger, grated or chopped (adrak)
- ¼ teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth)
- 1 tablespoon ghee or oil
- rock salt (sendha namak) as required
First boil the potato. Peel and just crumble the potato with your hands. You can also chop if you want.
Beat dahi (curd or yogurt) till smooth.
Heat ghee or oil. Fry the cumin first.
Then add the ginger and fry for some seconds.
Add the crumbled potatoes. Saute for 2-3 minutes
Then add all the dry spice powders. Stir well and saute for a minute.
Add the beaten dahi (curd or yogurt) and stir. Add water and stir again. Season with salt.
Simmer for some minutes till the dahi aloo gravy thickens.
Keep on stirring in between.
Once done then garnish dahi aloo gravy with coriander leaves and serve dahi aloo hot.
- If you are not making dahi aloo for navratri fasting or any other fast then you can also add a pinch of asafoetida/hing.
- You can also use cashew yogurt instead of milk yogurt.
Calories: 181kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 839mg | Potassium: 753mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Vitamin C: 16.9mg | Calcium: 167mg | Iron: 5.4mg