paneer bhurji sandwich recipe - yummy sandwiches stuffed with paneer bhurji and then toasted or grilled.
course: side dish, snacks
servings: 3 to 4
for paneer bhurji
- 200 grams paneer, crumbled (cottage cheese)
- 1.5 tablespoons butter (oil or ghee)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions or 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes or 2 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilies (hari mirch), chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons ginger (adrak), finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon of coriander leaves (dhania patta), chopped finely
- salt as per taste
for the sandwich:
- 8 to 10 slices of brown bread or white bread or whole wheat bread
- butter as required
making paneer bhurji
keep all the ingredients ready for the paneer bhurji recipe.
crumble the cottage cheese and place aside.
heat a pan and then add 1.5 tablespoon of butter/oil in it.
then add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds. saute cumin seeds on a low flame till they crackle.
now add 2 teaspoons of finely chopped ginger. saute the ginger for a minute on low flame, till the raw smell vanishes from the ginger.
then add 1/3 cup of chopped onions and 1 to 2 finely chopped green chilies. saute till the onions becomes translucent.
sprinkle salt as per taste.
add 1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes. stir and saute for a minute.
stir in 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon of garam masala powder. mix well.
saute the tomatoes for 2 to 3 mins, till the tomatoes soften.
then add the crumbled paneer. stir and mix well.
cook for 1 to 2 mins on low heat.
switch off the flame and add 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
stir all nicely.
remove the paneer bhurji in a bowl/vessel and place aside. allow it to cool at room temperature.
making paneer bhurji toast sandwiches
slice the edges of the bread if you prefer. then apply generous amount of butter to the bread. applying butter prevents the bread from becoming soggy.
add a spoonful of paneer bhurji mixture on the buttered bread. spread the mixture evenly on all sides with the help of a spatula or back of a spoon.
cover with another slice of bread.
place the sandwiches in a preheated toaster or grill.
toast for 2 to 3 mins or until they look golden brown and crisp. similarly toast/grill the rest of sandwiches.
slice the sandwiches, apply some butter if you like over them. serve paneer bhurji sandwich with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
1. don't cook the paneer for too long else they taste rubbery.