wheat naan recipe
Wheat flour naan recipe - crisp and light whole wheat naan recipe made with yeast.
Prep Time3 hrs
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time3 hrs 20 mins
Servings: 8 to 9 naan
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon melted ghee or oil
- 2 tablespoon curd (dahi or yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 teaspoon kalonji seeds (nigella seeds) or white sesame seeds or both
- some butter or ghee for applying on the naan
making wheat naan dough
Mix warm water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl.
Cover and keep in a warm place for 10 minutes or so till the mixture rises.
Sieve wheat flour and salt together.
Add curd, ghee and yeast mixture.
Mix and then knead into a smooth and elastic dough.
Apply oil or ghee to all the sides of the dough
Keep the dough in a large bowl covered with a lid in a warm place for 1.5 or 2 hours or more till the dough rises and doubles in size.
Punch the dough and then knead for 5 minutes.
making wheat naan
Divide the dough into medium sized balls and keep aside.
Roll each ball into a 6 to 7 inch circles and pull from one side to give a triangular oblong shape.
Sprinkle kalonji or sesame seeds on top.
Roll over the rolling pin so that the seeds get embedded in the naan.
Bake the wheat naan on a greased tray in a preheated oven for 180 degrees celsius for 3 to 4 minutes or more till you see golden spots on the naan.
Alternatively, these wheat naans can also be made without an oven. Just cook it the way you make phulkas or rotis.
Remove and apply some ghee or butter on top of the naan.
Serve the wheat naan hot with any rich curry dish.
- If the naan dough feels dry, then add some more lukewarm water.
- These naans can also be made without an oven. Just cook it the way you make phulkas or rotis.
- I made the naans both in the oven and on fire and the ones cooked liked phulkas on the fire were much better as they got a burnt taste and flavor.
Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 315mg | Potassium: 131mg | Fiber: 3g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1.2mg