veg shammi kabab
a vegetarian version of shammi kabab made with black chana (kala chana). these shammi kababs are crisp, succulent and tasty.
Prep Time7 hrs
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time7 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 10 veg shammi kababs
for pressure cooking kala chana
- 1 cup dried black chickpeas (kala chana)
- enough water for soaking kala chana
- 2 cups water or as required, for pressure cooking kala chana
- ½ teaspoon salt
other ingredients for veg shammi kabab
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped or minced
- 1 green chili (hari mirch), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoons gram flour (besan)
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (dhania patta), chopped
- oil as required for frying the kababs
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves or chopped coriander leaves
preparation for veg shammi kabab
soak the black chickpeas in water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
drain all the soaked water and then pressure cook the chickpeas with 2 cups water and ½ teaspoon salt for 10 to 15 minutes or till they are thoroughly cooked.
let the pressure settle down in the cooker.
open the lid and check if the chickpeas are cooked well. then drain all the water very well. do make sure that the chickpeas are dry and all the water is drained from them.
in a large bowl add the chickpeas and mash them with a wooden spoon or a blender or your hands.
just make a semi coarse mixture and not too smooth.
add all the rest of the ingredients except oil. mix very well.
make into small round shaped kababs or patties.
making veg shammi kabab
heat oil in a pan on a medium flame.
shallow fry the kababs in medium hot oil till crisp and browned on both sides.
once done, then drain the kababs on kitchen paper napkins to remove excess oil.
you can also bake the kababs with a drizzle of oil for a healthier version.
garnish kababs with mint leaves or coriander leaves. serve these veg shammi kababs hot.
serve veg kababs with onion-mint salad along with slices of lime and some mint chutney.
tips for making veg shammi kabab recipe:
- you can also make the kabab with chana dal or both chana dal and black chickpeas.
- when frying kabab, for testing first fry one kabab in the oil. if it doesn't break then you can safely fry the remaining kababs.
- if it does break, then add some more chickpea flour/besan to the mixture.