spicy one pot veg pulav
easy and delicious one pot spicy vegetable pulao recipe.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1.5 cups basmati rice or any regular rice, 300 grams
- enough water for soaking rice
vegetables and other ingredients for veg pulav
- 2 to 3 tablespoon ghee or oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced onions or 1 medium to large onion, finely sliced
- ⅓ cup chopped tomato or 1 medium sized chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves (dhania patta), chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves (pudina patta), chopped
- 2 teaspoon ginger+garlic paste or ½ inch ginger and 4 to 5 garlic, crushed in mortar-pestle
- 2 to 3 green chilies (hari mirch), chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 3 cups chopped mixed veggies (i used a mix of cauliflower, french beans, potatoes and carrots)
- ¼ to ⅓ cup green peas (matar), fresh or frozen
- 2.5 cups water
- salt as required
whole spices for spicy veg pulav
- 2 small tejpatta (indian bay leaf) or 1 medium to large tej patta
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- 4 to 5 black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 piece small of stone flower (pathar ke phool or kalpasi or dagad phool) - optional
- ½ inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 green cardamoms (hari elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 or 2 single strands of mace (javitri)
- 1 star anise (chakri phool)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
preparation for spicy veg pulao
first rinse 1.5 cups basmati rice in water till the water runs clear of starch. then soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
after 30 minutes drain the water and keep aside. when the rice is soaking, chop all the veggies, herbs and keep them ready.
making spicy veg pulav
heat 2 to 3 tbsp oil or ghee in a pressure cooker. then add all the whole spices mentioned in the above list. saute the spices till they become fragrant and splutter.
now add thinly sliced onions.
stir and saute till the onions start to become golden. you have to stir often, so that the onions cook evenly.
now add 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 2 to 3 green chilies (chopped), 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves.
saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
then add the chopped tomatoes.
next add the spice powders - 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and a pinch of asafoetida (optional).
stir and saute this spicy mixture till the tomatoes soften and become mushy.
now add 3 cups chopped mixed veggies (i used a mix of cauliflower, french beans, potatoes and carrots) and 1/4 to 1/3 cup peas.
mix the veggies with the spicy mixture and saute for a minute.
now add the soaked & drained rice. stir gently and saute the rice for a minute.
add 2.5 cups water. season with salt and stir again. check the taste and the stock/broth should feel a bit salty.
cover the pressure cooker with its lid and pressure cook veg pulao on medium to high flame for 1 whistle. i used a 3 litre pressure cooker and it took about 15 minutes for the rice to get cooked.
if using a smaller pressure cooker, then cook veg pulao for 10 to 12 minutes.
fluff the rice gently and serve spicy veg pulao with a raita or a side salad. you can also accompany sliced onion rings, lemon wedges, roasted papad and a pickle by the side. another accompaniment for this pulao is shorba or side gravy.
to make veg pulao in a pan or pot:
- add 2.75 to 3 cups water if cooking in a pan. you may add water as required.
- use a thick bottomed deep pan.