goan dal recipe
goan dal - fusion of goan varan and the kerala parippu curry.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
For the dal:
- ½ cup yellow moong dal (mung dal)
- 2 to 2.5 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 to 3 pieces kokum or 1 medium size tomato
- salt to taste
For the coconut paste:
- ½ cup fresh grated coconut or dessicated coconut flakes
- 1 small onion or 2 to 3 shallots
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves (lahsun), optional
For the tempering:
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves (lahsun), crushed lightly
- 1 or 2 green chilies, (dry red chilies can also be used instead of green chilies) - optional
- 1 to 2 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee or any good vegetable oil
For the garnish:
- a few coriander leaves (dhania patta), chopped
Making the dal:
pick and wash the mung dal.
pressure cook the mung dal with water, salt and turmeric for 3 or 4 whistles.
when the dal is cooking, make a paste of the coconut, cumin seeds, onions with some water.
also wash, peel and chop the drumsticks
when the pressure releases from the cooker, open the lid of the cooker.
add the chopped drumsticks and the coconut-onion-cumin-seeds paste to the dal.
at this stage you also add the kokum or chopped tomatoes.
add some water to get the desired consistency.
this dal is a little thick than the other dals, so ensure that you don't make it too watery.
the drumsticks will take 20-25 mins too cook and become soft.
check the salt in the dal and add more if required.
Preparing the tempering:
heat coconut oil in a pan.
add mustard seeds and let them splutter.
then add the cumin seeds.
once they sizzle, follow with crushed garlic, curry leaves and green or red chilies. fry till the garlic becomes a light brown.
lastly add asafoetida.
fry for 1 minute and then pour the hot tempering on the dal.
lastly garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
serve the hot dal with some ghee on top of it along with a bowl of rice.