chole chaat or chana chaat is a delicious, tasty, tangy and easy chaat snack made from white chickpeas or chana, spice powders, onions, tomatoes and lemon. you can also use canned chickpeas to make this chatpata chana chaat.
Prep Time5 mins
Total Time5 mins
for pressure cooking chana
- 1 cup chana or dried white chickpeas
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water - for pressure cooking
- 1 medium to large potato - optional
other ingredients for chana chaat
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato - finely chopped
- 1 green chili , finely chopped - optional
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) - optional
- regular white salt or rock salt - add as per taste
- black salt - add as per taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice or add as per taste
- 3 to 4 pani pooris or papdis crushed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- ¼ cup fine sev - optional
soak 1 cup kabuli chana (white chickpeas) in enough water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours. later drain all the water. rinse the chickpeas in running water and again drain the water. you can also use 2.5 to 3 cups canned chickpeas. if using canned chickpeas, then you just need to mix the spices, onions, tomatoes et all and savour the chana chaat.
take the chickpeas in a 2-litre pressure cooker. add ½ teaspoon salt and 2 cups water.
place a bowl on top of the chickpeas. rinse and keep a medium to large potato inside the bowl. you can skip the potato if you want.
cover tightly with the lid and initially pressure cook on medium flame. when you start hearing the hissing sound in the cooker, lower the flame a bit and cook for 10 to 12 whistles.
when the pressure falls on its own, remove the lid.
check the potato by sliding a knife or fork through it. the fork or knife should slide easily.
also check the chickpeas. you should be able to mash the cooked chickpeas easily. there should be no hardness in the center. the chickpeas should have a melt in the mouth texture. if the chickpeas is not cooked, then add some more water and pressure cook for a few more whistles.
preparation for chana chaat
drain all the water and keep the cooked chickpeas aside.
peel the potato once it becomes warm. then chop and keep aside.
rinse, peel and then finely the onion, tomato and chilli. also rinse and then finely chop some coriander leaves. keep aside.
making chana chaat
take the cooked chickpeas in a mixing bowl.
add all the spice powders - kashmiri red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder and chaat masala. add both black salt and regular salt as per taste. you can also add ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder).
add the chopped potatoes. mix very well so the spice powders, salts coats the potatoes and chana.
add the finely chopped onions, finely chopped tomatoes, chopped green chillies and coriander leaves.
add 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice or add as required.
again mix very well. check the taste and you can add salt, chaat masala, red chilli powder, green chillies, lemon juice more if you want.
serve chana chaat in a bowl instantly. while serving chana chaat garnish with some coriander leaves and sev. adding sev is optional. you can even garnish with some crushed papdi or pani poori.
- you could adjust the spice powders, black salt and lime juice as per your taste
- when you boil the chana, add some salt to the water in which you would boil the chana.
- do not add green chilli if you do not want to eat a spicy and hot chaat.
- if you want to serve the chana chaat cold, then do not add the crushed pooris and coriander leaves before keeping the chaat in the fridge. when you serve the cold chaat, then you add the crushed pooris and coriander leaves.
- the chana chaat will be warm if you have freshly cooked the chana and are not using leftover cooked chana.
- to cook the chana or chickpeas in a pot or pan, soak the chickpeas overnight. the add 3 to 4 cups water in a pan with the soaked chickpeas and salt. also add a few drops of oil, so that the foaming and frothing are reduced. if the water froths too much, then cook without the lid.
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 363mg | Potassium: 789mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 460IU | Vitamin C: 16.7mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 5.4mg