this methi chole is a spicy and tasty punjabi curry made with fenugreek leaves and white chickpeas.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time50 mins
for pressure cooking the chickpeas
- 1.5 cups dried white chickpeas (chana or chole)
- 4 to 5 cups water for pressure cooking the chickpeas
- black salt as required.
for onion paste
- 1 large onion
- 4-5 garlic
- 1 inch ginger
for tomato paste
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 green chili
- 1 red chili
- 1 or 2 inch cinnamon
- 1 or 2 big cardamom
- 2 green cardamom
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf (indian tej patta)
other ingredients for methi chole curry
- 2 cups fenugreek leaves (methi leaves)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ or 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ or 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (ground coriander)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur) or as required
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 3 or 4 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon curd (yogurt) - dairy or vegan
- 1 or 1.5 cups water
- few coriander leaves for garnishing (cilantro leaves) - optional
- salt as required
soak the chickpeas overnight in water.
next day pressure cook the chickpeas with water and black salt, till they are completely cooked.
make the onion paste with garlic and ginger.
and also make the tomato paste with green chili and red chili.
no need to add water when making these two pastes.
making methi chole curry
heat 3-4 tbsp oil in a pan.
add all the spices mentioned under the list whole spices. fry till the spices are fragrant.
then add the onion paste and fry till it gets browned.
this takes quite some time and you have to stir frequently, so that there is even browning and the paste does not get burnt.
add tomato paste and add yogurt.
add all turmeric, red chili, coriander, fennel, garam masala powder along with the asafoetida.
also add the methi leaves and stir and saute till the oil starts to leave the sides of the mixture.
add the cooked chickpeas/chole, water and salt.
mash a few chole with the back of the spoon to slightly thicken the gravy.
simmer till the gravy thickens slightly.
lastly add mango powder (amchur) and stir. simmer for 1-2 minutes.
garnish with coriander leaves and serve methi chole hot with roti, naan, puri, bhatura or rice.
Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 1540mg | Potassium: 917mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 755IU | Vitamin C: 32.1mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 5.5mg