simple and easy brinjal pulao recipe.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1 cup basmati rice or 200 grams basmati rice
- 100 to 150 grams eggplant (brinjal or baingan) or 8 to 10 small brinjals, you could also use medium sized aubergine
- 1 medium sized onion, thinly sliced
- ½ inch ginger + 5 to 6 small garlic + 1 or 2 green chilies - crushed in a mortar-pestle
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 1 bay leaf (indian tej patta)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dal chini)
- 2 green cardamoms (chotto elachi)
- 3 cloves (lavang)
- 2 single strands of mace (javitri)
- 3 to 4 black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 piece small of stone flower (dagad phool) - optional
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
preparation for baingan pulao
soak water for 30 minutes. rinse 1 cup basmati rice very well in water. then soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes.
after 30 minutes, drain the rice and keep aside.
meanwhile when the rice is soaking, chop 8 to 10 baingan (about 100 to 150 grams brinjals) and soak them in salted water for 15 to 20 minutes.
also slice 1 medium sized onion thinly and crush ½ inch ginger, 5 to 6 small garlic, 1 or 2 green chilies to a smooth paste in mortar pestle.
making baingan pulao
heat oil in a pressure cooker or a pot.
add the following whole spices and fry them till they are fragrant - ½ tsp cumin/jeera, 1 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cardamoms, 3 cloves, 2 single strands of mace, 3 to 4 black pepper and 1 small piece of stone flower (optional).
add the sliced onions. stir very well. stir and saute the onions till light golden or golden.
then add crushed ginger-garlic-green chilies. stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
now add the spice powders - ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp coriander powder and ¼ tsp garam masala powder.
add the chopped baingan. stir and saute for a minute.
add the drained rice. stir and saute the rice for a minute.
cooking brinjal pulao
add 2 cups water. if cooking in a pot, you can add 2.25 to 2.5 cups of water.
add salt and stir very well.
cover the cooker with its lid tightly and pressure cook the baingan pulao for 2 to 3 whistles.
when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
add chopped coriander leaves and gently mix it with the rice.
serve baingan pulao hot with some raita or plain yogurt.