kaddu ki sabji
Kaddu ki sabzi recipe - easy to prepare delicious pumpkin recipe.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 small pumpkin (kaddu)
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 or 2 dry red chilies (optional)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 2 teaspoon crushed jaggery
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ¾ cup water or 1 cup water
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- rock salt or sendha namak (or you can use common salt if not making during religious fasting)
Wash the pumpkin. Peel and chop the pumpkin.
In a pressure cooker or pan heat oil.
Add the fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds and fry for a minute on a low flame.
Now add the red chilies and fry for some 15 seconds.
Add the chopped pumpkin and all the dry spice powders except garam masala and dry mango powder.
Add the sugar or jaggery.
Mix the pumpkin with the rest of the spices and sugar/jaggery. Add water and salt.
Cover the cooker with a lid and pressure cook for 7-8 minutes.
If you do not have a pressure cooker then cover the pan with a lid and cook the pumpkin for some 15-20 minutes till they become soft and mushy.
Now mash the cooked and soft pumpkin with a spoon and add the garam masala and dry mango powder.
Stir the mashed pumpkin well and cook for minute or two.
If the kaddu ki sabzi still looks watery to you, then evaporate the water from the sabzi by cooking it without the lid.
This kaddu ki sabzi should not be dry nor watery, just in between.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve kaddu ki sabzi hot.
Note: If making this kaddu sabzi for fasting or vrat then skip the fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder and garam masala. For info about fasting food rules, you can refer to this compiled list of Ingredients allowed during navratri fast.
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 593mg | Potassium: 1201mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 29125IU | Vitamin C: 46.8mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 3.3mg