easy palak biryani
palak biryani recipe - lightly spiced, aromatic and easy spinach biryani recipe.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
main ingredients for palak biryani
- 2 cups basmati rice, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste)
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 4 or 4.5 cups of water
- 3 tablespoon oil or ghee
- some fried cashews for garnishing (optional)
- salt as required
whole spices for palak biryani
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 small star anise (chakriphool)
- 2 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 or 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 bay leaf tej patta
- 1 pinch mace (jayitri or javitri)
dry spice powders for palak biryani
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (jeera powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel (saunf powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
for making palak puree
- 1 medium bunch of spinach (palak)
- ½ cup mint leaves (pudina patta)
- ½ cup coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch)
- 5 to 6 almonds (badam)
making palak puree for biryani
rinse the palak (spinach leaves) very well in water.
chop and keep aside. rinse & chop the green chilies, mint and coriander leaves
in a blender, add the chopped spinach, mint, coriander, green chili and almonds.
add 1/2 cup water and blend to a smooth paste.
making palak biryani
first rinse and then soak the rice. when the rice is soaking, prepare the spinach puree as mentioned above.
heat oil in a thick bottom and deep pan or pot. add all the whole spices.
fry for some seconds or till the oil gets fragrant.
add the sliced onions & fry till they are browned. remove some of the fried onions for garnishing.
add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for some seconds. now add hing and saute for few seconds.
add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes becomes soft for 2-3 minutes.
keep on stirring so that the ingredients do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
add the spinach puree and stir. saute for 3-4 minutes. now all the dry spice powders one by one and stir.
add salt as required.
drain the soaked rice and add. stir for 1-2 minutes. pour 4 or 4.5 cups water.
check the taste of the broth and if required add some more salt.
cover tightly with a lid and cook till the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
fluff the rice.
serve palak biryani hot garnished with the fried onions and fried cashews with a side vegetable curry, raita, yogurt curry or some salad.