kala chana sundal
black chana sundal recipe – south indian recipe of a no onion no garlic stir fried black chickpeas with spices and coconut.
Prep Time8 hrs
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time8 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- ½ cup black chickpeas (kala chana)
- 2.5 to 3 cups water for pressure cooking the black chickpeas
- ¾ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ¾ teaspoon spilt and skinned black gram (urad dal)
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 dry red chili, kept whole or halved and deseeded
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)- optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoon grated fresh coconut
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- few drops of lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or peanut oil
- rock salt as required
cooking kala chana
soak the kala chana or black chickpeas overnight.
next day, in the same soaked water, cook the chana in a pressure cooker till they are completely cooked. add more water if required in the cooker.
add salt too when cooking the chana. then strain the kala chana and keep aside.
don't drain the stock. it is rich in nutrients and can be used for making chapatis or added to breads, curries and even dals.
making kala chana sundal
heat oil in a pan. add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
the mustard seeds will crackle and the urad dal will get browned.
they almost take the same time to cook on a low flame.
immediately, add the curry leaves, red chilies and asafoetida. fry for 10-15 seconds.
now add the cooked black chana and salt. stir and saute for 4-5 minutes on a low to medium flame.
switch off the flame and add the coconut. sprinkle the lemon juice. stir well.
serve the black chana sundal as prashad or naivedyam.