Piyush recipe - thick, creamy sweet beverage made with shrikhand, yogurt and milk. Summer cooling drink.
Prep Time5 mins
Total Time5 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 200 grams shrikhand - about 1 cup, (cardamom, saffron or cardamom-saffron flavored shrikhand)
- 1.5 cups yogurt (curd or dahi)
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoon sugar or as required
- 2-3 green cardamom, powdered in a mortar-pestle to a fine powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder
- 6 to 7 pistachios, sliced
- 1 to 2 pinches of saffron (kesar)
First take the shrikhand, yogurt, milk, sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder in a mixing bowl.
With a hand held blender or a wired whisk or a madani (traditional hand held indian churner), just blend everything well till smooth and creamy. You can also blend in a jar in an electric blender. Keep the piyush in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours for it to get chilled.
A suggestion is to add 2 tbsp sugar first. If the sweetness is less, then you can add 1 tbsp sugar later.
Pour the chilled piyush in glasses, and top with pistachio or almond slices and saffron.
Serve piyush immediately. You can also keep the piyush for a day in the refrigerator.