dahi wali arbi
This dahi arbi is a mildly spiced and a thin curry made with arbi/taro roots in an onion-tomato gravy.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 200 or 250 grams colocasia (arbi or taro roots)
- ½ cup yogurt, beaten (curd or dahi)
- 1 medium size onion, chopped finely
- 3 medium size tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ to ⅔ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 or 2.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- rock salt or black salt or regular salt
First wash the arbi to remove all the mud from them.
Now oil your palms before you peel and slice the arbi.
They can be itchy when slicing, so to avoid that oil your palms.
Peel the arbi and cut each arbi vertically into two or four pieces.
Soak them in salted water for 30 minutes.
making dahi wali arbi
In a pan or pressure cooker heat oil.
First fry the ajwain seeds.
Then add the onions and fry till transparent.
Now add the ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell of the paste goes away.
Add the chopped tomatoes and stir.
Also add all the dry spice powders.
Saute the till oil starts to leaves the masala.
Drain the arbi and add them to the masala. saute for 1-2 minutes.
Now add the yogurt and stir.
Add water and salt. mix well.
Cover the pan or the pressure cooker and cook the arbi till done.
For cooking in pressure cooker, cook for approx 4-6 whistles or till the arbi becomes soft and well cooked.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve dahi wali arbi hot with some rotis or phulkas.
- If not using yogurt, then just add one or two tomatoes extra.
- You can also puree the tomatoes instead of chopping them.
- Skip the onion-garlic for a no onion no garlic version.
- Use vegan yogurt like cashew curd to veganize the dish.
- Use fresh yogurt so that it does not curdle.
- If you want the curry to be a little thick then just cook it without lid till you get the consistency you want.
- You can also adjust the spice powders as per your taste. For a more spicier version, increase the amount of red chili powder.