vegan rice payasam
delicious vegan rice pudding made with coconut milk and jaggery.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1 cup rice
- 2 to 3 turmeric leaves
- 3 cups thin coconut milk
- 2 cups thick coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1.5 to 2 cups powdered palm jaggery
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 10-12 cashews (kaju)
pick and rinse the rice well. add in a pressure cooker or a pot with 3 cups thin coconut milk.
now make a knot of the turmeric leaves and add these to the rice-coconut milk mixture.
cook or pressure cook the rice till soft and done.
now add the powdered or crumbled palm jaggery to the cooked rice.
add in the thick coconut milk. simmer for 2-3 minutes on a low flame
in another pan heat oil and fry the cashews till golden brown.
add the cardamom powder and grated nutmeg to the oil in which the cashews are getting fried..
stir and pour the entire content in to the kheer.
mix well and serve rice payasam hot or cold.
tips for making vegan rice pudding
1. i made my own coconut milk. just ground 1.5 cup grated coconut with 1.5 cup water. sieve through the strainer. this is your thick coconut milk. now add the coconut back to the blender with 1 cup water. blend again. strain, this is thin coconut milk. repeat this process one more time.
2. substitute sugar if not adding jaggery.
3. adding jaggery thickens the payasam, so don't overcook. just simmer on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
4. if you add sugar, than you can cook for some more minutes.
5. the rice pudding becomes thick on cooling. so if you want a little liquid and flowing pudding then you can add some more coconut milk or water.
6. also the sweetness in the rice pudding can be adjusted as per your taste.
7. after chilling the pudding in the fridge, the coconut oil solidifies. so if you want you can warm the pudding before serving.
8. if you do not have turmeric leaves, then just don’t add it.