cashew pulao is a simple and easy pulao made with cashews and spices.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1 cup heaped basmati rice or 200 grams basmati rice, soaked in enough water for 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 1 medium to large onion or 65 grams onion or ½ cup thinly sliced onions
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste or 2 to 3 garlic cloves + ½ inch ginger crushed in a mortar-pestle
- 25 to 30 cashews
- salt as required
- 1.75 cups water for pressure cooking
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 small to medium tej patta
- 5 to 6 black peppers
- 1.5 inch cinnamon
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamom/
- 3 cloves
- 1 or 2 single strands of mace
rinse 1 heaped cup basmati rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch.
then soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. after 30 minutes, drain all the water from the rice and keep aside.
also slice 1 medium to large onion and crush 2 to 3 garlic cloves + 1/2 inch ginger in a mortar-pestle. you can also use 1/2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste instead. keep all the spices ready.
making kaju pulao
heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a pressure cooker.
then add all the whole spices mentioned above and saute till they crackle and turn fragrant.
now add the sliced onions and saute stirring often, till the onions turn golden.
add ginger-garlic paste. saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
add the cashews and saute for a minute.
add the soaked rice. season with salt.
mix the rice gently with the rest of the ingredients. pour water and stir.
cover and pressure cook the pulao for 2 to 3 whistles or 7 to 8 minutes on medium flame.
when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid, gently fluff the rice.
serve kaju pulao garnished with some chopped coriander leaves. you can serve with any veg or paneer gravy or shorba of your choice.
- this is a mild pulao. for some heat, you can add 1 or 2 green chilies.
- you can also add some mint leaves and coriander leaves while preparing the kaju pulao.
- instead of coriander leaves, you can also garnish with mint leaves.
- instead of caraway seeds, you can also use cumin seeds.