bharwa baingan recipe
bharwan baingan are small brinjals stuffed with a spice mix and sauteed with potatoes.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 250 grams small brinjals (baingan or eggplants), about medium green baingan/eggplants or 18 to 20 small brinjals
- 250 grams regular potatoes or baby potatoes, about 2 to 3 medium potatoes or 15 to 18 baby potatoes - optional
- ½ tsp turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 tsp salt or add as required
- 2 tbsp oil
preparation for bharwa baingan
firstly, mix all the six spice powders along with salt – garam masala powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and amchur (dried mango) powder and salt. keep aside.
rinse the baingan or brinjals and dry them with the kitchen towel. slice off the stem from the brinjals.
slit each baingan into 4 parts taking care that you don’t cut the entire baingan. stuff the baingan with the spice powder mixture evenly. keep all the stuffed baingan aside.
peel and dice the potatoes. if using baby potatoes then chop if they are medium sized. If they are small, then just keep them whole with or with the peel.
making bharwa baingan
in a wok or kadai or heavy bottomed pan. add the oil.
then add the chopped potatoes. saute the potatoes till they change colour and get lightly browned from the edges.
add the bharwa baingan, stir and saute the baingan for a minute. then cover the pan and cook the stuffed baingan on a low flame.
check a couple of times and stir the veggies. cover and then continue to cook.
once the stuffed baingan are cooked and softened, add the remaining spice powder mix.
stir well and saute for a minute. check the taste and add more salt if required.
serve bharwa baingan hot with phulkas or plain paratha.