Pesarattu dosa recipe - crisp and delicious dosa made from whole mung beans. healthy & nutritious too. vegan as well as gluten free.
Prep Time7 hrs
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time7 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 30 pesarratu
For the Pesarattu batter
- 2 cups green moong beans
- 1 green chilly, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing), optional
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves optional
- salt as required
- 3 to 4 tbsp rice flour
Toppings and other ingredients for Pesarattu
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped, optional
- few chopped coriander leaves
- oil or ghee for frying the dosa, as required
Serving suggestions for Pesarattu
- upma, as required
- coconut chutney, as required
- coriander chutney, as required
Making Pesarattu Batter:
Firstly, pick and rinse the moong beans.
Then soak the moong beans overnight in enough water.
Drain and add the moong beans along with ginger, green chilies, asafoetida, coriander leaves and salt in a grinder jar.
Add some water and grind into a smooth batter.
Remove the batter in a bowl or pan.
Stir in the rice flour and mix well. The consistency should be similar to a dosa batter.
Making Pesarattu Recipe
On a griddle or flat pan, spread a little oil/ghee.
With a ladle, pour the dosa batter on the griddle and use the same spoon for spreading the moong dal dosa batter into a round shape.
Pour some oil on the sides and in the center of the dosa.
Sprinkle the finely chopped onion, green chilies and coriander leaves.
Press these with the spatula so that they get stuck to the batter which is getting cooked.
Flip and cook both sides a couple of times till crisp and browned.
Serve the Moong Dal Dosa or Pesarattu hot with Upma and Coconut Chutney.
Few tips for making Pesarattu
- This Pesarattu dosa can also be made with spilt green gram or sprouted moong.
- If using yellow moong, then you can soak the lentils for 2 to 3 hours.
- Instead of adding rice flour, you can also grind both soaked rice and green moong beans together.
- The moong dal dosa can be had plain too.
Calories: 53kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 177mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg