aloo bhatura recipe
aloo bhatura - thick leavened fried Indian bread often eating with chole/channa
prep time 2 hours 10 minutes
cook time 30 minutes
total time 2 hours 40 minutes
- 1.5 cup wheat flour (atta)
- ¾ cup refined wheat flour (maida)
- 1 large potato mashed or 2 medium sized potatoes, mashed
- ¼ teaspoon of baking powder or baking soda
- 3 tablespoon curd (yogurt or dahi)
- 1 teaspoon sugar or brown sugar, optional
- 2 teaspoon ghee or oil for kneading the flour
- salt to taste
- oil for deep frying
- very little water for kneading the flour if required
seive the flours with the baking powder.
add the mashed potatoes, curd, sugar, salt and knead to a smooth dough. only add water if required.
cover the dough with a wet cloth and keep aside for two hours.
after two hours lightly knead the dough.
make medium size round balls and roll each into a large puri of about 4 inches in diameter.
fry each bhatura in moderately hot oil till they become puffed up and well browned.
serve the aloo bhaturas with punjabi chole.