thai green curry
veg thai green curry recipe - vegetarian recipe of a spicy, hot green curry from thailand
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 4 to 5
for thai green curry
- 3/4 cup thick coconut milk (I used ready made coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil or sesame oil
- sea salt or salt as required
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 tablespoon thai basil leaves - chopped (for garnish)
for thai green curry paste
- 2 - 3 thai chillies + i green chili (i used 2 thai chilies and 1 green chilli)
- 1/2 inch galangal (substitute is ginger)
- 2 - 3 shallots
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 4-5 small kaffir lime leaves or 2 to 3 medium kaffir lime leaves
- 2 lemon grass stalks, chopped
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tablespoon dark soya sauce or regular soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon zest from lemon (grated rind of lemon)
- 3 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1.5 - 2 cups mixed vegetables (vegetables like potatoes, french beans, cauliflower and mushrooms
to make thai green curry paste
take the following chopped ingredients in a grinder jar - 2 to 3 thai red chilies, 1 green chili, ½ cup coriander leaves, ½ tablespoon soy sauce, 2 to 3 shallots, ½ inch galangal, 2 stalks of lemon grass, 2 to 3 medium sized kaffir lime leaves, 2 teaspoon coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and ¼ teaspoon lemon zest.
grind these ingredients to a slight coarse paste without adding water.
if the mixture is too dry and not getting ground, then add some more soy sauce and grind it. you could also grind it with some coconut milk instead of soy sauce. i won't recommend grinding the paste in a mortar and pestle as its too much of hand work .
grind to a little coarse paste. this curry paste is enough for thai curry recipe mentioned in this post.
making thai green curry
in a pan, heat 2 tablespoon coconut oil or sesame oil. add the green curry paste. saute the paste for 1 minute.
add all the mix veggies. you can use your choice of veggies.
add 2 cups of water and mix well.
cover and cook till the veggies are almost done. but don't overcook the veggies.
add ¾ cups of coconut milk and mix it with the rest of the paste.
also add salt as required. mix very well.
bring the entire curry to a boil. then garnish the thai green curry with chopped thai basil leaves.
serve the thai green curry with warm lemon grass rice or plain jasmine rice or steamed basmati rice.