Wheat naan recipe with step by step photos. This wheat flour naan recipe gives you a nicely soft textured naan which you will like.
Naan is one of the popular Indian flatbread. To make them the dough is leavened with yeast. Though there are recipes where you can make naan without using yeast. I have shared both the versions. This wheat naan recipe is made with yeast.
Few more versions of naan which you can easily make at home are:
- Naan recipe – made without yeast
- Garlic naan – made with yeast
- Cheese garlic naan – made without yeast
- Butter naan made with yeast and wheat flour.
Usually the naan is made with all purpose flour (maida). However for a healthy version you can use whole wheat flour (chapati atta).
It is served in most Indian restaurants and is served best with rich curry dishes like paneer butter masala, palak paneer, shahi paneer and chana masala.
Do I have to tell anything more about this bread? nah…. So directly moving to a Wholesome healthy naan made from whole wheat flour.
How to make wheat naan
1: first we need to proof the yeast. Mix ½ cup warm water, 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp dry yeast in a small bowl. Cover and keep in a warm place for 10 minutes or so till the mixture rises. Remember the water has to be warm. If you dip your little finger in water, it should not scorch or feel hot to you. It should give you a warm feeling without feeling hot. If the water is hot, it will kill the yeast and if its cool, the yeast won’t become active.
2: add 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 tsp salt in a sieve.
3: sift these into a large bowl.
4: add 2 tbsp curd and 2 tbsp melted ghee or oil.
5: add the yeast mixture.
6: mix to a soft dough and then knead for about 5 minutes till the dough is smooth.
7: apply some oil or ghee to the dough from all sides.
8: keep the dough in bowl large enough to facilitate the doubling process. Cover the bowl with a lid and keep it in a warm place for 1.5 hours or more till the dough has doubled in size.
9: after 1.5 or 2 hours, punch down the dough and then knead for 5 minutes.
Making wheat naan
10: divide the dough into medium sized balls and keep aside. Take one ball of the dough on a floured surface.
11: roll the dough to a 6-7 inches circle.
12: now from one side slightly pull the dough to give the naan its oblong triangular shape.
13: sprinkle on top kalonji/nigella seeds and then with the rolling pin just roll on the naan so that the nigella seeds get embedded in the naan.
14: Bake the wheat flour naan on a greased tray in a preheated oven for 180 degrees celsius for 3-4 minutes. I did not have to turn them whilst baking. But if need be then do turn the naans whilst baking. Once they are browned and done, remove from the oven and apply some butter or ghee on them.
15: Serve them hot with any veggie or paneer dish like kadai paneer, matar paneer or even dal like dal makhani or dal tadka.
16: the whole wheat naans were incredibly soft from within and crisp from outside. Not at all rubbery or hard like the restaurant naans.
You might also love to check these similar recipes:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon melted ghee or oil
- 2 tablespoon Curd (yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 teaspoon kalonji seeds (nigella seeds) or white sesame seeds or both
- some butter or ghee for applying on the naan
making wheat naan dough
- Mix warm water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl.
- Cover and keep in a warm place for 10 minutes or so till the mixture rises.
- Sieve wheat flour and salt together.
- Add curd, ghee and yeast mixture.
- Mix and then knead into a smooth and elastic dough.
- Apply oil or ghee to all the sides of the dough
- Keep the dough in a large bowl covered with a lid in a warm place for 1.5 or 2 hours or more till the dough rises and doubles in size.
- Punch the dough and then knead for 5 minutes.
making wheat naan
- Divide the dough into medium sized balls and keep aside.
- Roll each ball into a 6 to 7 inch circles and pull from one side to give a triangular oblong shape.
- Sprinkle kalonji or sesame seeds on top.
- Roll over the rolling pin so that the seeds get embedded in the naan.
- Bake on a greased tray in a preheated oven for 180 degrees celsius for 3 to 4 minutes or more till you see golden spots on the naan.
- Alternatively, these can also be made without an oven. Just cook it the way you make phulkas or rotis.
- Remove and apply some ghee or butter on top of them.
- Serve the wheat naan hot with any rich curry dish.
- If the dough feels dry, then add some more lukewarm water.
- These naans can also be made without an oven. Just cook it the way you make phulkas or rotis.
- I made the naans both in the oven and on fire and the ones cooked liked phulkas on the fire were much better as they got a burnt taste and flavor.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later