vrat ke pakore or kuttu ke pakore recipe – these deep fried pakoras or fritters are made with kuttu ka atta or buckwheat flour and mashed potatoes or aloo.
kuttu ke pakore are easy to make and taste delicious. they have a soft and melt in mouth texture from inside unlike the pakoras made from besan or gram flour. since besan is not used during fasting, flours like buckwheat flour, water chestnut flour or amaranth flour is used to make pakoras, halwa, pancakes (chilla) and barfi.
coarsely crushed peanuts and dry pomegranate powder (anardana powder) are also added to the pakora mixture. the batter has to be thick like a thick cake batter or a thick idli batter. if you make it like the regular pakora batter or even of medium consistency, the pakoras split and break while frying. they also absorb a lot of oil. the consistency should be such, that you can easily shape the pakoras with your hands.
you can serve the vrat ke pakore with phalahari chutney, coconut chutney, tamarind chutney or homemade tomato sauce which has no chemical preservatives added to it. since i had made these pakoras on a regular day, i served with tomato sauce.
these kuttu ke pakoras can also be made with water chestnut flour or amaranth flour. you can even mix buckwheat flour (kuttu ka atta) with water chestnut flour (singhare ka atta) in 1:1 proportion. few more snacks which you can make for fasting days are:
you can also check this compiled list of navratri fasting recipes. in addition to this, i have made one more list of ingredients and food allowed for navratri fast. i hope this will be helpful to people who want to observe navrati vrat.
kuttu ke pakore recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR kuttu ke pakore recipe
- 3 to 4 medium potatoes (aloo)
- 5 tablespoon kuttu ka atta (buckwheat flour)
- 2 tablespoon peanuts (mungphali)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 or 1.5 teaspoon dry pomegranate seeds (anardana)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- approx ¾ to 1 cup water or as required
- oil for deep or shallow frying
- rock salt or sendha namak or upwas ka namak as required
HOW TO MAKE kuttu ke pakore recipe
preparation to make vrat ke pakore
- boil potatoes.
- peel and mash them well.
- add the buckwheat flour and mix in the mashed potatoes
- roast peanuts in a small pan till crisp and browned.
- remove and keep aside.
- in the same pan, roast the pomegranate seeds on a low flame for a minute.
- in a mortar-pestle, coarsely powder the roasted peanuts, pomegranate seeds and the green chilies.
making pakora batter
- add this mixture to the potatoes and mix well.
- add cumin powder and rock salt.
- add little water in intervals and keep on mixing till you get a very very thick batter.
- it should be thicker than idli batter. its almost the consistency of a thick potato puree.
- mix well.
frying kuttu ke pakore
- heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan.
- shape small balls from your hands or with a help of a 1 tablespoon, drop the batter in hot oil.
- fry till the pakoras are golden and crisp.
- drain the kuttu pakoras on paper napkins to remove excess oil.