Vermicelli pudding recipe – this is a very popular creamy Indian dessert made with wheat vermicelli. You can even make this with rice vermicelli or any other variety of vermicelli. This vegan pudding is also called as vermicelli kheer or seviyan kheer and is often made during festive time. Its an easy as well as quick pudding recipe and taste very good.
This vegan pudding recipe is for my vegan friends as well to all those folks who do not like the after taste of milk. And also for folks and kids who have lactose intolerance.
I have added cashew milk and almond milk in the vermicelli pudding. I made the nuts milk from scratch. Since the kheer itself is made from cashew and almond milk, I have not added chopped cashews or almonds to milk. Just added some black raisins with saffron and cardamom powder.
This vegan vermicelli pudding Is very easy to make and does not take much time. You won’t miss the milk in this vegan pudding… Trust me. Even the hubby liked it who is a hard core milk sweets addict. If you want to make this pudding with cow milk then check this Seviyan kheer recipe.
The vermicelli i added is the thin whole wheat vermicelli. they were roasted already, but I roasted them again just to ensure that they are all roasted evenly.
By the way this vermicelli pudding is a Low fat, no ghee or oil recipe. the fats present are the natural fats that are already there in almonds and cashews. So all in all, this vegan vermicelli pudding is Healthy, low fat and a cooling sweet dessert. you can serve the pudding warm or chilled.
If you are looking for more Vegan sweets recipes then do check:
vegan pudding recipe
- 1.5 cup almond milk
- 1.5 cup cashew milk
- 1.5 cup wheat vermicelli (seviyan)
- 1.5 cup water
- 8 to 9 tablespoon sugar - add less or more for desired sweetness
- 4 to 5 green cardamon (choti elaichi), crushed or ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon black currants, sliced or chopped
- 1 pinch saffron (kesar)
- In a pan or kadai dry roast the vermicelli till they get a golden hue.
- Lower the flame and in the same pan, add both the cashew milk and almond milk. stir.
- Add sugar, and mix well.
- The mixture will begin to thicken as the vermicelli begins to get cooked.
- If you want a thin pudding, then add water.
- Whereas if you want a thick pudding like kheer then there is no need to add water.
- Since at home we prefer thin pudding hence I have added 1.5 cups of water.
- Simmer for 7-10 minutes till the vermicelli becomes soft and is cooked well.
- Add the cardamom powder, saffron and raisins.
- Simmer vermicelli pudding for a couple of minutes or till the mixture thickens slightly or as per your requirement.
- Then remove from fire.
- Serve vermicelli pudding hot or warm.
- Or you can chill and serve the pudding cold.
- Take 1 cup almonds & 1 cup cashew nuts.
- Soak the almonds and cashews in water for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- In a blender add the almonds and cashews.
- If you want you can remove the almond peel.
- Add 1.5 to 2 cups water and blend till smooth and fine.
- Use this mixture of the almond and cashew milk to make this vegan pudding.
- No straining is required here.