eggless easter biscuits recipe – with easter around the corner, i have three recipes coming for all of you. all of them are eggless and healthy. two are baked recipes and one is an easter specialty. this is the first one.
i had also made a mango blueberry cake, but it turned out to be a disaster. instead of cake, it became a pudding 🙁 but my love for baking does not deter me from trying new and creative recipes in spite of so many disasters.
in fact the preparation of making these easter biscuits were almost a disaster in the beginning. i was like all the semolina is wasted now. the oil became too much.
a creative thought and i quickly added whole wheat flour to save the mess that was happening. happily i baked and we had the most delicious and aromatic biscuits. the biscuits had beautiful cracks on them and yet were holding themselves without falling apart or breaking.
the best part is these biscuits do not have butter in them and also they are eggless. i have loosely adapted this recipe from the book “festival cookbook’ by vimla patil.
secondly, as an egg substitute, i have added flaxseed powder. this biscuit dough is a not a smooth pliable dough, due to the presence of semolina. when you make the biscuits there will be cracks and they are natural.
once baked, the outside texture is crisp. the inside is soft and not all hard or crisp. you can make these and then store in an air tight containers. they can also be wrapped beautifully and gifted to your family, friends and relatives. the recipe can be easily doubled or tripled. you can serve them as a tea time snack with masala chai or filter coffee or ginger tea.
the original recipe has some raisins added to the dough. but i prefer just one taste in sweet dishes and hence have not added the raisins.
if you are looking for similar recipes then do check:
INGREDIENTS FOR easter biscuits
- ½ cup cream of wheat (fine rava or sooji)
- ½ cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- ¼ cup sunflower oil or any odourless oil
- ½ cup castor sugar or powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon raisins, optional
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds powder
- 3 tablespoons water for dissolving flax seeds powder
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water for binding the dough
HOW TO MAKE easter biscuits
- dissolve 3 tbsp water in flax seed powder and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- sieve the semolina.
- mix all the dry ingredients together.
- add the oil to the dry ingredients
- add the flaxseed paste.
- thoroughly mix the whole mixture well.
- add 1 or 2 tbsp water to bind the dough. the dough does not bind well. so some water needs to be added. do not knead. just mix and bring the mixture together.
- now take medium size balls from the dough like we do for rotis.
- flatten these and arrange them on a greased or lined baking tray.
- bake at 150 degrees C for 25-30 minutes or till the biscuits become golden brown.