eggless banana chocolate cake recipe – my first attempt of baking an eggless as well as vegan cake all on my own was a success. did not refer to the internet or books or anything. just followed my instincts and the result was a delicious, soft, crumbly and a little dense eggless banana chocolate cake.
i was thrilled when i saw as well as had the cake. a few of my baking experiments with cakes and muffins have been disasters. luckily i have never had any disasters while baking bread. i just love baking bread. made some breads and they were all so good. in fact a home baked bread is much much better than the breads we get outside, at least in india.
in this eggless cake recipe, i have used sunflower oil instead of butter. the oil made the cake soft and moist. i used ½ cup of oil and when mixing the batter i could see the oil in the batter. i was a little apprehensive about the results and the oil. but after baking there was no trace of oil in the cake at all and it was not even a heavy cake.
as an egg replacer i have used flax seed powder/meal. since cocoa is used in the cake along with the bananas, you won’t get the taste and flavor of the flax seed meal. i know some people don’t like the flax seed powder taste in their baked goods.
i had a lot of ripe bananas. with some i made the sweet appams. there were still two bananas left after making the appams and they were very very ripe.
ripe bananas are very good to make any baked good like bread, cake, muffins, cookies. they add a rich dense flavor to the baked dish. they can also be used as an egg substitute. so don’t throw away ripe bananas. you can check this collection of banana recipes to get recipe ideas for bananas.
this is also a very easy cake recipe. all you have to do is mix everything. i always look out for cake recipes which are easy and quick. for me baked recipes have to be easy as well as quick to make. this cake is done in 30 minutes if you have the flax seed meal ready. you can also check this chocolate cake recipe in pressure cooker where flax seeds are used.
as a tip for making eggless cakes, i suggest to store a small bottle of ground flax seed powder in your fridge. comes in handy when you have to make baked goodies plus also you have a powerhouse of nutrition (omega 3 fatty acids, lignans and fibre) stored in your fridge.
i always roast some flax seed, powder them and keep in the fridge. i read somewhere that the powder gets spoilt after a week. but mine has been in the refrigerator for almost a month now.
this eggless banana chocolate cake is perfect tea time cake. i used a bundt pan to make the cake and it serves about 2-3 people.
eggless banana chocolate cake recipe below:
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 medium sized ripe bananas
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup demerara sugar or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder OR 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon flax seed powder + 3 tablespoon water
- preheat the oven at 180 degree celsius.
- grease a medium sized bundt pan with oil.
- mix the flax seed powder with 3 tbsp water and keep aside for a few minutes till it becomes gelatinous.
- sieve the flour with baking powder and baking soda.
- peel and mash the bananas. you can also blend the bananas to get a smooth puree.
- add all the ingredients to the seived flour and mix well.
- pour the cake mixture in the bundt pan and bake at 180 degree celsius for 20 to 25 minutes.
- insert a toothpick in the cake to check if the cake is done. if it comes out clean the cake is done.
- enjoy this eggless banana chocolate cake with your evening tea or coffee.