Veg masala toast sandwich recipe with step by step photos. Veg masala toast sandwich is another way I make sandwiches at home. These are more filling than the other plain toast sandwiches as there are veggies like potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum and onions in these. The taste of spiced potatoes gels very nicely with the partly cooked sliced veggies.
This veg masala sandwich is very easy to make. you need to make the potato stuffing first. Slice the veggies. Spread some butter/olive oil and coriander chutney on the bread slices. Stuff them with the potato and veggies and then toast them.
I have used my electric toast sandwich maker but you can also use hand held toaster to toast the sandwiches. Alternatively you can grill the sandwiches or as a last option you can toast the bread slices on a griddle/tava with butter/olive oil.
The veg masala toast sandwich is served with green chutney and tomato sauce. This is a good tea time snack as well as nice filling brunch.
I use butter instead of olive oil in sandwiches and it tastes good even with the Indian spices and stuffing in the sandwich.
If you are looking for similar recipes then do check:
Veg Masala Toast Sandwich
for the potato filling
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- 1 medium sized onion – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato – finely chopped (optional)
- 1 small green chilli – finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder - optional
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 3 to 4 medium sized potatoes - boiled, peeled and mashed
- a few chopped coriander leaves
for the green chutney
- ¾ cup coriander leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ½ inch ginger - chopped (adrak)
- 1 or 2 green chilies - chopped (hari mirch)
- black salt as required
- ¼ cup water to grind the chutney or add water as required
- few drops of lemon juice
- 10 to 12 slices of bread – brown or white or whole wheat bread
- 1 medium sized onion - sliced thinly
- 1 medium sized tomato - sliced thinly
- 1 small capsicum - sliced thinly (green bell pepper)
- 1 small or medium sized cucumber - sliced thinly
- butter or olive oil as required
- sandwich masala or chaat masala as required
making potato filling
- In a pan, heat some oil. Add mustard seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add cumin seeds and brown them. Then add onions. Fry the onions till transparent.
- Now add the tomatoes. Fry the tomatoes till they become soft and are cooked.
- Add the chopped green chilli. Add all the spice powders mentioned above.
- Mix them well. Now add the mashed potatoes.
- Add salt. Mix the stuffing really well.
- Keep on stirring on a low flame so that the mixture does not stick to the pan.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle some coriander leaves on the potato filling.
- Cover and let the filling cool before you start using it in the sandwiches.
- Grind the ingredients for the green chutney with little water to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
making veg masala toast sandwich
- Trim the edges of the bread.
- Apply butter or olive oil evenly on the bread.
- Now apply the green chutney on the bread.
- Take 2 to 3 tbsp of the potato stuffing and spread it on this bread. Sprinkle some chaat or sandwich masala over it.
- Keep 2 to 3 slices of onion, tomato, cucumber and capsicum on the potato stuffing.
- Sprinkle some sandwich masala or chat masala again.
- Sprinkle some black salt also.
- Now cover this stuffed bread slice with another slice of bread, to which both butter and chutney has been applied.
- In a sandwich toaster or grill, toast or grill the sandwich till browned from both sides.
- Remove and apply some butter or olive oil on top of the sandwich.
- Make all veggie toast sandwiches this way.
- Sprinkle some sev (fried gram flour fine vermicelli) on the sandwiches.
- Serve the veg masala toast sandwich hot with the green chutney and tomato ketchup.
How to make veg masala toast sandwich recipe:
Preparing the potato filling:
1. Boil or steam 3 to 4 medium sized potatoes in a pressure cooker or steamer. The potatoes should be cooked very well.
2. When the potatoes are slightly warm, peel and mash the potatoes with a vegetable masher.
3. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making the veg masala toast sandwich.
4. In a pan, heat 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil. add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai).
5. Let mustard seeds splutter. Then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) and brown them on low flame.
6. Now add 8 to 10 curry leaves and mix.
7. Then add 1 medium sized finely chopped onion.
8. stir well. Fry till onions becomes transparent and curry leaves becomes crisp.
9. Now add 1 medium sized finely chopped tomato. Adding tomato is optional but it gives a good taste to the bhaji.
10. Stir and mix well on low flame.
11. Fry the tomatoes till they become soft and are cooked.
12. Add 1 small finely chopped green chili, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (optional) and 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing).
13. Mix them well.
14. Now add the mashed potatoes.
15. Next add salt as required.
16. Mix the stuffing really well.
17. Keep on stirring on a low flame so that the mixture does not stick to the pan.
18. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle few coriander leaves on the potato filling. Cover and let the filling cool before you start using it in the sandwiches.
Preparing green chutney for sandwiches:
19. In a blender, add ¾ cup chopped coriander leaves, ¼ cup mint leaves, ½ inch chopped ginger and 1 to 2 chopped green chilies.
20. Next add salt as required, few drops of lemon juice and ¼ cup water or add water as required.
21. Grind the ingredients to a smooth paste. Keep the green chutney aside.
Making veg masala toast sandwiches
22. Trim the edges of the bread.
23. Slice thinly the following veggies – 1 small or medium sized cucumber, 1 medium sized tomato, 1 medium sized onion and 1 small sized capsicum. Also assemble all the ingredients ready for making veg masala toast sandwich.
24. Apply butter or olive oil evenly on the bread. I have used butter.
25. Now apply the green chutney on the bread.
26. Take 2 to 3 tablespoon of the potato stuffing and spread it on the bread.
27. Sprinkle some chaat masala or sandwich masala over it.
28. Keep 2 to 3 slices of onion, tomato, cucumber and capsicum on the potato stuffing. Again sprinkle some sandwich masala or chaat masala. Also add some black salt.
29. Now cover this stuffed bread slice with another slice of bread, to which both butter and chutney has been applied.
30. In a sandwich toaster or grill, toast or grill the sandwich till browned from both sides. Make all veg masala sandwiches this way
31. Remove and apply some butter or olive oil on top of the sandwich. Sprinkle some sev on the sandwiches.
32. Serve the Veg masala toast sandwich hot with the green chutney and tomato sauce.