veg korma recipe with step by step photos – vegetable korma is an aromatic, delicious and lightly spiced curry made with mix vegetables.
korma or kurma is a curry dish which is popular in india as well as in central asia. the base of the curry can be coconut paste or coconut milk, yogurt, cream, onion or tomato paste or nuts-seeds paste or a combination.
in the north indian and mughlai cuisine generally yogurt (curd) and cream are added. whereas in the south indian versions, coconut is used along with some nuts-seeds. there are many many variations of making a korma. the taste and the flavor varies with the cooking technique and the ingredients that are used in the korma.
few more delicious korma recipes are
- navratan korma (from mughlai cuisine)
- potato kurma
- cauliflower korma
- vegetable kurma (hotel style)
- paneer korma (from mughlai cuisine)
this recipe of korma is not a sweet version. it is mildly spiced and has a nice red color coming from the dry kashmiri red chilies. i have added both coconut and yogurt in this south indian korma variation. the whole recipe has been made in a pressure cooker. if you have time than you can also cook the korma in a pan.
the vegetables can be of your choice (cauliflower, carrots, corn, baby corn, peas, beans, potatoes). you can also add paneer (cottage cheese) or tofu to the korma. to make a vegan version of this veg korma recipe, substitute yogurt with a vegan yogurt.
i have tried and tested a lot of korma recipes before and most of them i felt lacked flavor, depth and taste. now after making so many kormas, i have become a kind of an expert in preparing korma curries. this recipe of vegetable korma was so good that i had to blog it along with the peas and potato korma.
many times it happens that i take step by step pics and the recipe never makes an appearance on the blog. if the recipe does not come to our standards of taste testing, i do not add them. all the pics get deleted. i keep on trying the same recipe with different ingredients and their proportions. the whole process from the selection of ingredients to taking pictures to the preparation starts all over again and lastly the taste testing. in pursuit of such a perfection, i have deleted countless cakes, breads, cookies and a few curry recipes.
this vegetable korma is best served with chapatis, kerala parotta, parathas and pooris. the next good option is to serve vegetable korma with steamed rice, jeera rice or kashmiri pulao. you can also have the curry with bread or dinner rolls.
if you are looking for more curry recipes then do check:
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for making spice paste for korma
- 5 to 6 tablespoon fresh grated coconut or unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 5 to 6 whole cashews Or ¾ to 1 tablespoon chopped cashews (kaju)
- ½ tablespoon roasted chana dal (daria dal or roasted bengal gram)
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- 3 to 4 medium sized garlic - chopped (lahsun)
- ¾ inch ginger - chopped (adrak)
- 3 dry red kashmiri chilies or byadgi chilies - broken and deseeded if your prefer. substitute with 1 to 2 green chilies or 1 to 2 dry red chilies of any other variety depending on the hotness and pungency of the chilies.
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dal chini)
- 2 cloves (lavang)
- 1 green cardamom (hari elaichi)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds (khus khus) - if not available then skip
- a small tiny piece of stone flower (dagad phool or kalpasi or patthar ke phool) - skip if not available. stone flower is strongly aromatic and flavored. so use a very tiny piece.
- ½ cup water for grinding
other ingredients for mix vegetable korma
- 1 medium to large carrot Or 80 to 90 grams carrots (gajar)
- ½ to ⅓ cup chopped french beans Or 50 to 60 grams french beans
- ½ cup peas - fresh or frozen (matar)
- 1 medium to large potato Or 80 to 100 grams potatoes
- 4 to 5 white button mushrooms
- 1 medium sized onion
- 8 to 10 curry leaves Or 1 small to medium tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 medium sized tomato
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tablespoon fresh full fat curd (dahi or yogurt) - avoid using low fat or sour yogurt as the yogurt curdles when cooking
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnish
how to make korma recipe
preparation for korma recipe
- take all the ingredients mentioned under the list "spice paste" in a grinder.
add 1/2 cup water and grind to a smooth paste.
keep the ground paste aside.
- rinse, peel and dice all the veggies.
making korma recipe
- heat oil in a pressure cooker or pan. add onions and curry leaves and saute till the onions become translucent.
- add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder. stir and saute for 4 to 5 mins till the tomatoes soften.
add the ground spice paste. stir and saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the paste. this takes about 4 to 5 mins on a low flame.
stir often so that the masala or spice paste does not stick to the bottom of the cooker or pan.
- now add the diced vegetables and yogurt.
saute on a low flame for 3 to 4 mins and then add 1.5 cups water. season with salt. stir very well.
if using pressure cooker, cover with its lid and pressure cook veg korma for 2 to 3 whistles on medium to high flame.
if using a pan, cover the pan and allow the vegetables to cook. if the vegetable korma curry looks thick while cooking in a pan, then add some hot water.
once the vegetable are cooked well, then garnish mix vegetable korma with some coriander leaves.
serve the veg korma with chapatis, parathas or pooris.
how to make korma recipe with mix vegetables
1. take all the ingredients for the making the spice paste or masala paste in a grinder.
2. add half cup of water and grind to a smooth paste.
3. rinse, peel and dice the veggies. i added carrots, french beans, potatoes, peas and some white button mushrooms.
4. heat oil and add onions and curry leaves. saute till the onions become translucent. no need to brown the onions. you can also add 1 small to medium tej patta (indian bay leaf) instead of curry leaves.
5. add chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder. stir and saute for 4 to 5 mins till the tomatoes soften.
6. add the ground spice paste.
7. stir and saute till oil starts to leave the sides of the paste. about 4 to 5 minutes on a low flame. stir often so that the masala or spice paste does not stick to the bottom of the cooker or pan.
9. saute on a low flame for 3 to 4 minutes and then add water. season with salt. stir well. if using a pressure cooker, cover with its lid and pressure cook veg korma for 2 to 3 whistles on medium to high flame. if using a pan, cover the pan and allow the vegetables to cook.
10. the mix vegetable korma is ready now.
11. garnish with some coriander leaves and serve the mix veg korma with rotis, parathas or pooris or rumali roti.