varan bhaat is an important dish that is made during the ganesh chaturthi festival in the regions of goa and konkan.
in english, varan bhaat would read as lentil-rice where varan stands for lentil curry or stew and bhaat means steamed rice. this varan is different from the maharashtrian varan and has fresh coconut added to it with minimal spices.
i make this varan bhaat with coconut often. i had made the varan bhaat some weeks ago and hence the pics do not have a festive feel to them. the post was lying in the drafts and i thought it is a good occasion to write this post.
the dal is served in the naivedyam or bhog we offer to lord ganesha along with the other veggies dishes & sweets. this is satvik dal with no onion and garlic added to it.
on other occasions, you can have the dal with some steamed rice. goes well with some ghee on top. this is one delicious varan and you must try it.
varan bhaat recipe details below:
varan bhaat recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup moong dal (split and skinned mung lentil)
- ½ cup arhar dal (spilt and skinned pigeon pea lentils)
- 2 to 2.5 cups water for pressure cooking
- add 1 or 1.5 cup more water later (optional)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta) - optional
- 1 teaspoon crushed cumin or cumin powder (jeera powder)
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut - ground with little water
- salt as required
how to make varan bhaat recipe
- pick, rinse the lentils couple of times in water.
- pressure cook the lentils till they are soft.
- mash them with a spoon or ladle. keep aside.
- grind the coconut with little water to a smooth paste.
- add coconut paste to the cooked lentils and mix well.
- then add cumin powder, turmeric powder & curry leaves and salt.
- mix again.
- add water to thin the dal if required.
- keep the dal on the stove and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- serve varan bhaat with steamed rice and some ghee.
- instead of combination of moong or arhar dal, you can also add 1 cup of arhar or moong dal instead.
- you can also grind the coconut with cumin seeds and then add to the dal.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - varan bhaat recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.