Tawa pizza recipe with step by step photos. This tawa pizza recipe is an easy method to make pizza without oven by using a pan or a tawa. Not everyone has an oven at home. So using this recipe you can easily make pizza without an oven at home.
How to make pizza at home without oven is one of the requests and queries, I used to get often. So thought of sharing a detailed post on this.
This method of making pizza on a tawa or skillet, can be used with any pizza dough. I have used a no yeast pizza dough. In this recipe post though, I have shown the step-wise photos to make this pizza crust.
The only flip side of cooking pizza on a tawa is that the veggies, as well as the cheese, do not get browned or golden. Else the veg pizza tastes good and the pizza base is also nicely done and crisp.
You will need pizza sauce. So you can make the pizza sauce a day before or use store brought pizza sauce. I have used homemade pizza sauce.
The pizza dough also can be made a day before and refrigerated. If both the pizza sauce and the dough is ready, then assembling and cooking pizza on tawa is pretty quick.
How to make pizza at home without oven
Preparing no yeast pizza dough
1. In a mixing bowl or pan take 3 cups all purpose flour (maida), ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon sugar.
2. Add ½ teaspoon baking soda.
3. Then add 1 teaspoon baking powder. mix very well.
4. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
5. Next add 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Substitute 1 tablespoon vinegar if you do not have lemon juice.
6. Add water in parts.
7. Begin to mix first and then start to knead the dough.
8. Keep on kneading till you get a soft and smooth dough. Add water in parts. I added ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water. You have to really knead very well. Knead at least for 10 to 12 minutes.
9. The dough should become elastic and stretchable. Take a portion and stretch it. It should not break.
10. The pizza dough should not be sticky but tacky. Tacky means that when you press the dough, it leaves your fingers or peels from it, without any dough sticking to your fingers. Obviously, if the dough is sticky, it will stick to your fingers. In case the dough becomes sticky, then add some more flour and knead again.
11. Rub some olive oil all over the dough and keep covered in a bowl. Allow the dough to leaven for 2 to 2:30 hours.
12. After 2 hours, a pic of the dough. Punch one of your fingers in the dough and the depression should give away. Cover and keep aside before you start assembling the veg pizza
1. Chop the veggies and take them in a bowl. You can use your choice of veggies. I have used onion, red bell pepper and tomatoes. The toppings are for 3 small sized pizzas.
2. Add ¼ teaspoon finely chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves, ¼ teaspoon dried oregano.
3. Season with ⅛ teaspoon salt or add as required.
4. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
5. Mix very well and marinate the veggies for 15 to 20 minutes. Also grate the cheese and keep ready.
6. Before making the pizza, knead the dough again.
7. Take the veg pizza dough and divide it into 5 equal parts.
8. Take one part and roll it well between your palms. Flatten and keep on the rolling board. Sprinkle some flour.
9. With a rolling pin, gently roll to a slightly thin round pizza. Roll to get a 0.3 to 0.5 cm thickness. Sprinkle some more flour if required while rolling.
Assembling and making tawa pizza
10. Heat a pan and brush or spread some olive oil on it.
11. Now gently place the pizza on the pan.
12. Keep the flame to a low or sim and cook the pizza.
13. When you see bubbles coming on it and the base has become golden, then flip.
14. Now quickly spread the pizza sauce on this cooked side of the pizza.
15. Sprinkle grated pizza cheese or mozzarella cheese. You can add cheese as required.
16. Top up pizza with the marinated veggies. While adding place the onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, first and then drizzle a bit of the marinated oil+juices mixture all over.
17. Cover with a lid and let the veg pizza cook on a low flame or sim.
18. Cook pizza till the base becomes golden and crisp and the cheese has melted.
19. Remove and serve tawa pizza hot or warm with tomato ketchup. You can also sprinkle red chili flakes on top of the pizza, while serving.
- Do use a thick bottomed tawa (non stick or cast iron) for making the pizza. If the tawa is thin and light, then the base can get burned.
- You can also use a frying pan for preparing the pizza.
- Also roll the dough slightly thin (about 0.3 mm to 0.5 mm), so that the pizza base gets cooked quickly. Thick base will take a lot of time to cook and the base will also get burnt by the time it cooks.
- Cook on a low flame from the start till end.
- Keep everything ready when you start cooking pizza on the tawa – pizza sauce, grated cheese and veggies.
- Oregano and basil are essential herbs. You can use dried or fresh. If you do not have oregano and basil, then use any herbs of your choice. You can also use pizza seasoning.
Few more pizza recipes
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Tawa Pizza Recipe | Pizza Without Oven
for tawa pizza dough
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (maida) or 300-315 grams all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or any neutral oil
- ½ cup water + 1 to 2 tablespoon water or add as required
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
pizza toppings for 3 small pizza
- 1 medium onion, chopped in small squares
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped in small squares
- 1 medium tomato, chopped in small squares
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped garlic or 2 small to medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 basil leaves, chopped or 1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder, optional
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup grated mozzarella cheese or pizza cheese or add as required
- pizza sauce as required
making pizza dough
- In a mixing bowl or pan, take all-purpose flour, salt, sugar, baking soda and baking powder.
- Mix very well.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add water in parts. begin to mix and then knead the dough.
- Keep on kneading till you get a soft and smooth dough. Add water in parts. I added ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water.
- You have to knead very well. Knead at least for 10 to 12 minutes.
- The dough should become elastic and stretchable. Take a portion and stretch it. The dough should not break.
- Rub some olive oil all over the dough and keep covered in a bowl. Allow the dough to leaven for 2 to 2.30 hours.
- Once leavened, punch one of your fingers in the dough and the depression should give away.
- Again knead the dough lightly before using it. If not using immediately, then cover the dough in an aluminium foil or a keep it covered in a closed container in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the dough and it will stay good for a month.
assembling and making pizza on tawa
- Take the pizza dough and divide it into 5 equal parts.
- Take one part and roll it well between your palms. Flatten and keep on the rolling board. Sprinkle some flour.
- With a rolling pin, gently roll to a slightly thin round pizza. Roll to get a 0.3 to 0.5 cm thickness. Sprinkle some more flour if required while rolling.
- Heat a pan and brush or spread some olive oil on it.
- Now gently place the pizza base on the pan.
- Cook the pizza base on sim or low heat.
- Flip the pizza base when you see bubbles appearing on it and the base has turned golden.
- Now, quickly spread the pizza sauce on this cooked side of the pizza base.
- Sprinkle grated pizza cheese or mozarella cheese. You can add cheese as required.
- Top with the marinated vegetables. While doing so, place the onions, tomatoes and bell peppers first and then drizzle a bit of the oil-juices mixture from the marinade all over.
- Cover with a lid and let the pizza cook on sim or low heat.
- Cook the pizza till the base becomes golden and crisp and the cheese has melted.
- Remove and serve Tawa Pizza hot with tomato ketchup. You can also sprinkle red chili flakes on top while serving.
- The recipe yields 5 small pizzas.
- You can add your choice of vegetables.
- Tawa Pizza recipe can be doubled.
- Instead of olive oil, you can use a neutral flavored oil.
- Fresh herbs can be used instead of dried herbs and vice versa. You can add your choice of herbs.
- If baking this pizza, bake in a preheated oven at 200 or 250 degrees Celsius till the base is golden and the cheese has melted and browned.