Sweet potato tikki Recipe With step by step photos – one more recipe for the Navratri fast or vrat. Sweet potato tikki or patties Is very easy to make and does not require much effort and time, especially on days when we fast.
So when you get bored of having potatoes, then sweet potato is a welcome change. if you like potatoes, then you can make the same recipe with potatoes. Whether with sweet potatoes or potatoes, these tikkis are delicious. Few more Snacks Recipes which you can make during fasting days are Shakarkandi chaat, Farali patties, Arbi tikki, Sabudana tikki, Sabudana vada and Farali batata vada.
For binding the tikkis, I have used arrowroot flour. If you cannot get arrowroot flour, then you can use water chestnut flour or buckwheat flour. when making during a non fasting season, you can add corn flour also. Remember to use sendha namak (rock salt) in the recipe, when you are making for religious fasting or vrat. On normal days you can use black salt instead of sendha namak.
If you are looking for more Fasting recipes then do check:
Sweet potato or shakarkandi tikki recipe below:
sweet potato tikki recipe
- 4 sweet potatoes (shakarkandi)
- 1 teaspoon ginger - green chilli paste
- 1 or 2 tablespoon arrow root flour or water chestnut flour or buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed roasted cumin or cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- rock salt (sendha namak) or black salt as required
- oil for frying
- Rinse the sweet potatoes well in water.
- Roast them in the oven till they are cooked and soft.
- Or else pressure cook with enough water & salt till they become soft.
- You can also boil them in a pan with water & salt.
- Drain the water. when they cool down, then peel them.
- With a potato masher mash the sweet potatoes well.
- Add all the ingredients except oil. mix well.
- Shape into medium sized tikkis or patties.
- Pan fry the shakarkandi tikkis with little oil till both the sides are browned.
- While serving garnish with some coriander leaves.
- Serve sweet potato tikki with a chutney or sauce.
- If the mixture feels a little loose, then add some more arrowroot flour or buckwheat flour.
- When making beetroot tikki for fast or vrat, then please add sendha namak (rock salt) only. Don't use regular salt for fasting food.
- If you are not making these tikkis for religious fasting or vrat, then instead of rock salt, you can use regular salt also.
- If you cannot get dry mango powder (amchur powder), then just add lemon juice.
- The spice powders and lemon juice can be adjusted to your taste preferences.
How to make shakarkandi or Sweet potato tikki recipe:
1. Rinse 4 medium sized sweet potatoes (shakarkandi) well in water.
2. Roast them in the oven till they are cooked and soft. Or else pressure cook with enough water and salt till they become soft. you can also boil them in a pan with water and salt.
3. Drain the water. allow the sweet potatoes to cool.
4. When they cool down, then peel them.
5. With a potato masher mash the sweet potatoes well.
6. Measure lime juice, spices and keep all the ingredients ready for making shakarkandi tikki.
7. Add 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder), ½ teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder), 1 teaspoon ginger-green chili paste, 1 teaspoon chat masala, ½ teaspoon red chilii powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder and sendha namak (rock salt) as required. If you are not making these tikkis for religious fasting or vrat, then instead of rock salt you can use regular salt also.
8. Next add 1 or 2 tablespoon arrowroot flour or water chestnut flour or buckwheat flour. I have use buckwheat flour.
9. Mix well.
10. Shape into medium sized tikkis or patties.
11. Pan fry beetroot tikkis with little oil till both the sides are browned.
12. While serving garnish with some coriander leaves. Serve Sweet potato tikki with a chutney or sauce.