strawberry falooda recipe with step by step photos – welcoming summer with this deconstructed recipe of strawberry falooda. in my part of the world, summer has already begun. the winter winds and chills have gone and one can feel the temperatures rising slowly and steadily.
growing up having falooda at home or in restaurants. during summers, when dining in restaurants, the whole family would always order falooda with ice cream for a dessert.
mom would sometimes make falooda during festivals or celebrations. so its one dessert, i have some fond memories associated with… the others being gulab jamun, gajar halwa and beetroot halwa.
this recipe is a vegan version of falooda made with almond milk. i have also made vegan carrot halwa and vegan vermicelli pudding with almond milk. if you are interested in a basic version of falooda, you can check this falooda recipe.
there is another variation of kulfi falooda in which kulfi is served with falooda and sabja seeds.
falooda is a beverage which is made with milk flavored with rose syrup or rooh afza and to which soaked basil seeds and falooda (corn starch vermicelli) are added. dry fruits are added as a garnish and it is served in a tall glasses, plain or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. sometimes even fruit based jelly is added. its a cooling dessert as both rose and basil seeds are cooling for the body.
the vermicelli is made from corn starch and they are soft & smooth. thats the best part of the falooda along with the basil seeds. i used to find the rose syrups heavily scented with rose and too artificially made. i still like rooh afza though.
now in this deconstructed strawberry falooda recipe
- almond milk replaces cow’s milk
- gulkand or rose preserve/jam replaces rose syrup
- whole wheat vermicelli replaces corn starch vermicelli
- the pink color comes from fresh strawberries
- there is no jelly added in this one
so the result is a healthy falooda recipe devoid of artificial colors, preservatives etc and vegan too. strawberries are still in season, so you can try making this recipe before the strawberry season goes away.
if you have falooda sev or vermicelli (corn starch ones) you can still add these to the falooda. other seasonal sweet berries can also be used instead of strawberries. fruits like mangoes, papaya can also be added. you can either puree the fruits or macerate them with sugar. instead of rose preserve, you can add your favorite homemade jam too. but keep one kind of fruit puree and fruit jam… avoid mix and match. for e.g if making mango falooda, then add the mango puree and mango jam.
few more beverages for you!
INGREDIENTS FOR strawberry falooda
- 1 cup chilled almond milk or dairy milk
- 3 to 4 tablespoon gulkand (add more if required)
- 2 teaspoon basil seeds (sabja seeds) dissolved in 1 cup water
- ½ cup whole wheat roasted vermicelli (or seviyan)
- 5 to 6 unsalted pistachois (pista) - sliced or chopped
- 6 to 7 large strawberries
- 2 tablespoon organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar
HOW TO MAKE strawberry falooda
- hull, rinse the strawberries.
- add some sugar to the berries and stir well.
- keep the strawberries in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
- cook the vermicelli with enough water till they become soft and cooked.
- drain and keep aside to cool.
- soak the basil seeds in enough water for 30 minutes till they swell.
- strain the basil seeds.
- stir the gulkand/rose preserve in the almond milk.
- assemble all the ingredients for the falooda.
- beginning with the soaked basil, then the cooked vermicelli, followed by strawberries and almond milk layer the glasses. you can have one or two layers.
- serve the falooda immediately.
preparation to make strawberry falooda recipe
1: hull & chop the strawberries. add sugar.
2: mix well and keep in the fridge. let the strawberries macerate in sugar for 30 mins.
3: pic the seeds for stones etc. then soak the basil seeds in enough water for 30 minutes or more. these seeds are called as sabja in hindi and even called as tukmaria seeds. they are different from chia seeds. basil seeds do not have any flavor of their own. pic below of the basil seeds.
4: after soaking the seeds for half an hour, they swell and become gelatinous. drain the water and keep the soaked seeds handy. these seeds can be soaked in the fridge and kept overnight in the fridge.
5: pic of macerated strawberries below. you can even the puree the strawberries if you want.
6: heat water and add the roasted whole wheat vermicelli. otherwise check for the package instructions and cook accordingly.
7: simmer the vermicelli till the they get soft and cooked.
8: drain the water and keep aside covered. let the vermicelli be completely cooled down before adding it to the falooda.
9: now take chilled almond milk and add gulkand/rose petal preserve to it. stir well. check for sweetness and add more if required.
making strawberry falooda
9: take the glasses. add 2 teaspoons of soaked basil seeds.
10: now add 2 teaspoons of the cooked vermicelli.
11: add 1 or 2 tbsp the macerated strawberries along with the syrup.
12: stir the almond milk (as some of the dried rose petals from the gulkand settles down) and add the milk in the glasses.
13: add some more of the basil seeds & vermicelli.
14: then again the strawberries & the almond milk again.
16: top some halved or chopped pistachois or cashews on top.
17: add ice cubes if you prefer or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and serve strawberry falooda immediately.