hara pyaaz pakora or spring onion fritters recipe – pakoras are one dish i don’t make often. so the recipe is made either in the monsoons or in the winters. these spring onion pakoras were made in the winters and i had not posted the recipe then.
it has been raining heavily here and has been cloudy all the time, for more than a week now. monsoons are great time to have hot hot pakoras with a steaming cup of masala chai. and its also a good time for me to post a pakora recipe 😉
these spring onion fritters have a crisp exterior and a soft texture from within. they are best served hot with some chutney – sweet or spicy and some bread or pav. makes for a good tea time snack or brunch.
i served these hara pyaaz ke pakore with a thin pomegranate chutney and homemade brown bread. you can also serve them with mint chutney or coriander chutney.
spring onions or scallions are easily available and with a few ingredients the pakoras are ready to be served in some time. other recipes, where spring onions can be added are spring onion paratha and spring onion soup recipe. you can also add spring onions to indo chinese recipes like:
to make these hara pyaaz ka pakora, the spices or masala has to be mixed with the chopped spring onions so that the juices are released. then after adding the besan or gram flour, some water is added to make a medium consistency batter. spoonfuls of the pakora batter mixture is dropped in the oil and shallow fried till crisp and golden.
hara pyaaz pakora recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR hara pyaaz pakora recipe
- 5 to 6 small or medium sized spring onions (scallions or hara pyaaz), rinsed well and chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped or grated (adrak)
- ½ cup gram flour (besan)
- 4 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- salt as required
- oil for shallow or deep frying the pakoras
HOW TO MAKE hara pyaaz pakora recipe
- in a bowl, add the chopped spring onions with the greens.
- add the ginger and green chili. add all the spice powders and salt.
- mix well and let this mixture stand for 15-20 minutes.
- this step is done to allow the liquids to be released from the onions, so that when you make the batter, it does not end up becoming too thin.
- now first add the besan part by part and stir well.
- add the water and make a smooth and medium consistency batter.
- add more water if required.
- heat oil in a deep fryer or kadai.
- drop spoonfuls of the batter in the oil and fry on medium hot oil till the spring onion pakoras are crisp and golden.
- drain on the pakoras on paper napkins to remove excess oil.
- serve the spring onion fritters hot or warm with coriander chutney or sweet chutney or tomato sauce.