soybean dosa recipe with step by step photos – this is one healthy dosa recipe that i made with soybeans and flaxseed. this one is my original recipe and i made it because i often try to incorporate healthy ingredients in the food i prepare. you could also call it soybean pancakes, but unlike the traditional pancakes, this one is made without eggs and white flour.
most of us know that soybeans are a rich source of proteins and also a good source of vitamins like: B-group vitamins and minerals like: calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium.
flax seeds on the other hand are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and lignans which are potent cancer fighters and they also help in improving the body’s immunity. it is also rich in fibre thereby helping in relieving constipation. it is also helpful for women in maintaining the hormonal balance. i can go on and on about the health benefits of flaxseed. wherever i can, i add flaxseeds to the recipes i prepare.
flaxseed is also beneficial for vegetarians who do not consume fish but want to partake the omega 3 fatty acids. i will soon be posting two recipes of flax seeds. first one is french beans rice with flaxseed and the second one is a recipe for making an eggless chocolate cake with flaxseed. here i have used flax seeds instead of eggs. this cake is rich in omega 3 fatty acids. just think of it. You are making a cake…….. that too chocolate and rich in omega 3 fatty acids… plus its also vegetarian and can be made vegan too by using soy butter and soy milk instead of butter and milk.
in fact, i have so many recipes to be posted. now coming to the soyabean dosa recipe…….. it is easy, simple to make. an additional ingredient that i have used in the recipe is rice flour. rice flour gives a bulk and body to the recipe and helps the dosa to retain shape while being cooked. this soybean dosa or pancakes does not requires fermentation process.
initially i made the dosa without adding rice flour. but it was difficult to even lift the dosa from the pan and i use a non stick pan 🙁 the dosa was breaking while lifting. when i added rice flour, i could easily lift the dosas from the pan.
mind you…… these soyabean dosas are slightly thick and take some time to cook. it does not cook as quickly as the regular dosa. you also cannot spread the soyabean dosa batter into a large circle as compared to the normal dosa batter. it just sticks and is difficult to spread. the batter i had made was thick and i did not want to take any chances by making the batter too thin or runny.
these soyabean flaxseeds dosa tasted great and even looked great as you can see in the pictures. they actually were porous and spongy from inside whereas as crisp from outside. i had the feeling…. like i was eating a spongy and porous bread. soy bean dosa is an excellent and power packed breakfast that can keep you going for the rest of the day. you can serve the soyabean dosas with coconut chutney, sambar or even the dry podis. it goes well with the simple tomato ketchup too. this recipe can be called a vegan recipe and it not only good for the the vegans but also vegetarians.
if you are looking for more dosa recipes then do check:
soybean dosa recipe card below:
soybean dosa recipe
soybean dosa recipe is one healthy dosa recipe that is made with soybeans and flaxseed.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ¾ cup soyabean
- 2 tablespoon flax seeds
- 3 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 green chili (hari mirch)
- ½ inch piece ginger (adrak)
- salt as required
- water as required
- oil/butter or ghee for frying, for vegan version use oil instead of butter or ghee
how to make recipe
Making Soybean Dosa Batter:
- Pick, wash and soak the soybeans and flaxseeds overnight in water or atleast for 8-9 hours.
- In the morning or after soaking them, ground both the soybeans and flaxseeds with green chili and ginger with some 1/2 cup water. Add more water if the batter is too thick and cannot be ground.
- Grind to a smooth paste.
- Remove the batter in a bowl and add rice flour and salt to it. Mix well and check to see if you need to add more salt or not.
Making Soybean Dosa:
- Heat the tava or griddle and pour a ladle full of batter on the tava. Do not try to spread it as you cannot. Just slightly using the back of the ladle apply some pressure. This way the batter will spread very little.
- Drizzle some ghee or oil on the sides and top.
- Now comes the lifting part. Just lift the dosa slighlty to check if it is browned. If yes, then carefully lift it and turn over. Drizzle some oil on the sides and top again.
- Flip again, when the second sides gets browned.
- You could flip the dosa twice more to get it evenly cooked and golden browned.
- Fry the dosas till they are evenly and properly cooked.
- Since it takes some more time to cook one dosa, you could do with this technique. Spread two dosas simultaneoulsy on the tava.
- When browned from the base, turn them on the tava. Cook these two dosas as you would cook the a single dosa on the tava.
Serve these yummy and healthy flaxseed soyabean dosas with coconut chutney and sambar. They can be had plain too.
Few tips for Soybean Dosa:
- i cooked the entire batches of dosa on a low flame so that the dosas get evenly and properly cooked.
- for your first dosa, if you are not able to lift it from the tava as the dosa breaks. then you need to add some more rice flour to the batter. add 1 or 2 tbsp of rice flour and try making the dosas again. also check the seasoning of the batter, if you add more rice flour.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make soybean dosa recipe:
1. pick and wash the ¾ cup soybeans and 2 tablespoon flax seeds.
2. soak them overnight in water or atleast for 8-9 hours.
3. in the morning the soy will double in size and the flaxseed will become soft, drain the water.
4. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making the soybean dosa.
5. in a blender, add both the soybeans and flax seeds along 1 green chili (chopped) and ½ inch ginger (chopped).
6. add ½ to 1 cup water. add more water if the batter is too thick and cannot be ground.
7. grind to a smooth paste.
8. remove the batter in a bowl.
9. next add 3 tablespoons rice flour and salt as required to the dosa batter.
10. mix well and check to see if you need to add more salt or not.
11. you can see how much thick the batter is.
12. heat the tava or griddle. i have used a non stick pan. reduce the flame and pour a ladle full of batter on the tava.
13. do not try to spread it as you cannot. just slightly using the back of the ladle apply some pressure. this way the batter will spread very little.
14. drizzle some ghee or oil on the sides and top.
15. this dosa will fluff or rise a little on top while frying as you can see n the picture below.
16. now comes the lifting part. just lift the dosa slightly to check if it is browned.
17. if yes, then carefully lift it and turn over. drizzle some oil on the sides and top again. fry the dosas on sim or low flame throughout so that the dosas are cooked evenly.
18. flip again, when the second sides gets browned.
19. you could flip the dosa twice more to get it evenly cooked and golden browned.
20. fry the dosas till they are evenly and properly cooked.
21. since it takes some more time to cook one dosa, you could do with this technique. spread two dosas simultaneously on the tava.
22. when browned from the base, turn them on the tava. but if your tava is small then fry only one dosa at a time.
23. similar manner fry the rest of dosas.
24. serve these yummy and healthy soyabean flaxseed dosas with coconut chutney and sambar. they can be had plain too.