sookha kala chana recipe for navratri pooja – sharing an easy punjabi dry curry made with black chickpeas.
this is a family recipe which we make when we break navratri fast on ashtami or navami. some families break the navratri fast on ashtami and some do it on navami. we do it on navami. so on this day prashad of sookha kala chana, pooris and sooji halwa is made. to know more do check this post on navratri fasting.
this sookha kala chana recipe is made with minimal ingredients and is yet very tasty. a quick and simple recipe which even beginners can make. there is one more dry kala chana recipe posted in which more spices are used but the process is almost similar.
the water used for soaking kala chana is added while cooking the chickpeas, as its healthy. so while soaking the kala chana overnight wash the chickpeas well and next day use the soaked water for cooking the chickpeas.
this dry black chickpeas curry also goes well in the tiffin box with some pooris. so you can also make it on regular days.
apart from pooris, sookha kala chana can also be served with chapatis, parathas or bread.
if you are looking for more kala chana recipes then do check:
sookha kala chana recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ¾ cup kala chana (black chickpeas) - soaked overnight
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder (kashmiri mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
- 2 cups water for soaking the kala chana
- salt as required
how to make sookha kala chana recipe
preparation for sookha kala chana recipe
rinse 3/4 cup black chickpeas in water for a few times.
then soak in 2 cups water overnight or for 7 to 8 hours.
- strain the soaked water and keep aside. keep the chickpeas also aside.
making sookha kala chana
- in a pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp mustard oil and allow it to smoke. then add 1 tsp cumin seeds and fry them till they splutter.
- add the black chickpeas and saute for a minute.
then add the dry spices - 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and salt.
stir and saute the mixture very well for a minute or two. i keep this dry curry minimally spiced, but if you want you increase the quantity of spices.
then add 1.5 cups water and stir. cover tightly with the lid and pressure cook for 15 to 18 whistles or till done.
once the pressure has settled down, remove the lid and check the chana.
if they are cooked and there is some water, then simmer till the water dries.
serve sookha kala chana with pooris and sooji halwa. you can also garnish dry kala chana with coriander leaves and then serve.
how to make sookha kala chana for navratri
1. rinse ¾ cup kala chana (black chickpeas) in water for a few times. then soak in 2 cups water overnight or for 7 to 8 hours.
2. strain the soaked water and keep aside as we will be using this water. keep the chickpeas also aside.
3. in a pressure cooker, add 2 tbsp mustard oil and allow it to smoke. then add 1 tsp cumin seeds. fry them till they splutter. you can use any other oil also if you don’t have mustard oil. but just heat the oil. don’t allow other oils to come to its smoking point like mustard oil. but it taste best with mustard oil.
4. add the black chickpeas and saute for a minute.
5. then add the dry spices – ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp kashmiri red chili powder, ¼ tsp garam masala powder and salt. stir and saute the mixture very well for a minute or two. i keep this dry curry minimally spiced, but if you want you increase the quantity of spices.
6. then add 1.5 cups water and stir. cover tightly with the lid and pressure cook for 15 to 18 whistles.