aloo tikki sindhi recipe with step by step photos. this aloo tikki recipe in sindhi style has been adapted from a recipe book for a non-stick tava. i wanted to make it for a long time and finally made it today.
i have myself never tasted sindhi aloo tikki. finally, i did. i am a huge fan of the punjabi aloo tikki. tikkis or patties are good tea time snacks and great during monsoons. a cup of hot tea also goes very well with them. i have posted around 16 variations of tikkis. few of the popular one are paneer tikki, veg cutlet, corn patties, ragda patties and farali pattice recipe.
coming back to this sindhi aloo tikki recipe, i must say it was great. we had it with yogurt (curd), tamarind chutney and green chutney. the recipe does not use raw mango powder – amchur. if you would like a sour taste, you can add 1 teaspoon of amchur.
aloo tikki sindhi recipe card below:
Aloo Tikki Sindhi Recipe
Aloo Tikki Recipe Recipe - Spiced Potato Patties from Sindhi Cuisine.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 3 large potatoes (aloo)
- 3 to 4 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves, chopped (pudina patta)
- 1 green chili (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 slices of bread
- salt as required
- oil for frying
how to make recipe
making sindhi aloo tikki mixture:
boil the potatoes and mash them.
finely chop the coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chili. add these to the mashed potatoes along with the chili powder and cumin seeds
soak the slices of bread in water. squeeze out the water from the bread completely.
mash the bread. add this mashed bread pulp to the mashed potatoes.
season with salt.
mix the aloo tikki mixture well.
take a small ball from the mixture. flatten the ball and shape into tikkis. make 7-8 tikkis and keep aside.
frying aloo tikki:
shallow or deep fry the tikkis in hot oil. i fried them on my nonstick tava. i used 2 tbsp oil to shallow fry them.
fry on a medium flame so that the tikkis do not get burnt.
when one side is browned, turn carefully and fry the other side.
when both sides are crisp and browned, remove the tikkis from the tava.
if you want a more crispier crust, then arrange the aloo tikkis which are done on the edge of the tava. heat some oil in the center of the tava and fry new tikkis.
keep the fried tikkis on crumpled kitchen tissues so that they absorb excess oil.
serve the aloo tikkis hot with chutney, tomato ketchup or sweet curd. you can also serve tikkis with chole.
- If the aloo mixture is not firm, then add some more bread.
- As a test, you could fry one tikki to see if its breaking or not. If it breaks, then add some more bread to the tikki mixture.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.
how to make aloo tikki sindhi recipe:
1. boil 3 large sized aloo or potatoes in pressure cooker. add 2 cups of water.
2. add salt as required.
3. pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistle or till potatoes are cooked.
4. allow the potatoes to cool, till they come at room temperature. drain the water.
5. peel the potatoes.
6. mash them. i used a pav bhaji masher, you can use your finger tips to mash.
7. finely chop the coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chili. keep the rest of spices also ready.
8. add 3 to 4 tablespoon coriander leaves, 1 tablespoon mint leaves and 1 green chili to the mashed potatoes.
9. also add ½ teaspoon red chili powder and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
10. soak 2 slices of bread in water.
11. squeeze out the water from the bread slices completely.
12. mash the bread.
13. add this mashed bread pulp to the mashed aloo.
14. season with salt.
15. mix the aloo tikki mixture well.
16. take a small ball from the mixture.
17. flatten the ball and shape into tikkis. i got about 10 tikkis from the aloo mixture.
18. shallow or deep fry the tikkis in hot oil. i fried them on my nonstick pan. i used 2 tablespoon oil to shallow fry them. fry on a medium flame so that the tikkis do not get burnt.
19. when one side is browned, turn carefully and fry the other side.
20. when both sides are crisp and browned, remove the tikkis from the tava. if you want a more crispier crust, then arrange the tikkis which are done on the edge of the tava. heat some oil in the center of the tava and fry new tikkis. this is usually done in the eateries of north india where they serve aloo tikkis. they use quite a huge and big tava. so they can easily arrange the fried tikkis on the edge of the tava.
21. keep the fried aloo tikkis on crumpled kitchen tissues so that they absorb excess oil.
22. the tikkis which are on edge receive less heat as compared to the center of the tava. so they remain warm and yet get roasted slowly on the tava. thus the crust becomes more crispy. serve the aloo tikkis hot with green chutney, tomato ketchup or sweet curd. you can also serve it with chole.