Sesame seeds and flax seed blend – this is one health blend mix I wanted to write from a long time and finally writing about. If you have read my post on Dukkah which is an egyptian nuts, seeds and spice blend, you know how much I love these type of blends, because they add so much to your food in terms of nutrition.
They are also easy to prepare. You can store these in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a week or more. Just pop some of the blend on salads, soups, curries, dals, dips or rice… You could also add some olive oil to it and have with any type of like whole wheat bread, brown bread or white bread.
This recipe is my friend Soma’s recipe. She would make these either with Sesame seeds or with Both sesame and flax seed. I have shamelessly copied everything without making any changes to it, except for adding Sunflower seeds.
Thank you Soma for making this for all of us every time and even making me aware about healthy eating….. Something which I never bothered about in my whole life.
We all know that sesame seeds, flax seed and sunflower seeds are healthy and have a lot of nutrients and minerals. I don’t want to go in to too much detail about the nutritional aspects of each seed, as then it would be a long post. I will just keep it short for all of us.
- Sesame seeds – high in calcium, iron, copper, lignans, proteins and mono unsaturated fats.
- Sunflower seeds – rich in vitamins especially vitamin e and b complex vitamins, calcium, iron, copper, magnesium and proteins.
- Flax seed – high in omega 3 fatty acids, fibre and lignans.
When I make this blend, I usually add salt to it. Thus I cannot add it to sweets or desserts. But you can also make it with sugar and then sprinkle on sweets and desserts. Also you could add your choice of dry herbs or spices to it to make this more flavorful and aromatic.
Few more similar recipes on blog are:
sesame seeds and flax seed health blend
- 1.5 cup sesame seeds white or black or both in equal quantities
- 1 cup flax seed
- ½ cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- sea salt or black salt or rock salt
- Roast all the seeds separately in a pan.
- Let the seeds cool.
- In a dry grinder coarsely grind all the seeds with some salt.
- Store sesame seeds and flax seed in an air tight container. Refrigerate the blend, stays good for a week.
- Sprinkle a few teaspoons on your daily meals.
The process to make sesame seeds and flax seed blend:
1: roast the sesame seeds on a pan or in the oven till they become light brown and crisp.
2: roast the sunflower seeds, till they make a popping sound and lightly browned.
3: roast the flax seed also.
4: once the seeds are cooled take all the 3 seeds in a dry grinder with some salt. Its important to cool the seeds, if they remain warm or hot, then whilst grinding a lot of moisture is released.
5: grind coarsely.
6: remove from the grinder and Store sesame seeds and flax seed blend in an airtight container. Add it to your breakfast, lunch or dinner food.