Punjabi wadi chawal recipe – this is a request post. One of my readers requested for recipes made with Punjabi wadi.
This is the first post on Wadis which will be followed later by lauki wadi (bottle squash cooked with wadis). Another dish we make using wadis is mooli wadi sabzi (radish & wadi sauted together).
These are Homemade wadis…. Wadi are basically spiced & sun-dried lentil dumplings. you can either make them at home or buy the ready ones.
These Wadis which my mil made, were neither hot nor spicy. The rice is cooked with the Wadis and is mildly spiced plus flavorful.
The Wadi are a good protein substitute and makes for a good intake of protein in your meals.
The Punjabi wadi chawal Is again easy to make. They can be served with any veg raita or even plain yogurt. I served it with masala vegetable stew.
The recipe can be made with any Wadis, even Moong dal wadis aka mangoris and also Amritsari wadis.
You can also make the same dish with any protein substitutes for the Wadis.
- Vegetarian substitutes- paneer, cooked chickpeas
- Vegan substitutes – tofu, tempeh or even good quality soy nuggets.
More Indian rice recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
- 1.5 cups rice
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 8 to 10 wadis
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- salt as required
- a few coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Splutter the cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onion and then fry till golden.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw aroma disappears.
- Add tomatoes and fry them till they become pulpy.
- Now add all the dry spice powders plus green chilies and saute the whole masala till the oil separates.
- Add the rice and mix well.
- Rinse the wadis in water and add it to the rice. pour water.
- Add salt and cover the pan. cook the rice till done.
- Serve wadi chawal hot garnished with coriander leaves.
- You can also make the wadi chawal in pressure cooker. In this case just add 3 cups water.
- The recipe can also be made in ghee instead of oil.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later