here is one moong dal recipe flavored with mint leaves. pudina or mint is one of my favorite herb. since i had quite a bunch of fresh mint leaves in my kitchen, i decided to add it to the plain moong dal and the result was an aromatic tasty dal. quite different from the usual bland taste of the moong dal. the pudina/mint changed the taste of the dal completely.
this is a simple, easy and quick moong dal recipe. i have used mint and garlic for the flavorings. i have not used onions and tomatoes in this recipe.
another way, i make this dal is moong dal tadka which is not at all bland as it has got the flavors of tempered cumin, garlic, garam masala and red chili powder. you can also check moong dal fry and sabut moong dal recipe.
you can use mint in a variety of ways to enhance the taste and flavor in your meals. few of the mint based recipes in the blog are mint chutney, mint coriander chutney, mint rice and pudina paratha recipe. apart from this you can add them to your tea, salads and raitas or use them for garnishing.
mint has many health benefits like it is good for digestion, detoxifies the body etc. you can read more about mint and also can make cooling mint juice from them.
serve the mint moong dal with rice, rotis or parathas. the recipe can be doubled.
mint moong dal recipe details below:
mint moong dal recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup moong lentils (moong dal)
- 1.5 to 1.75 cups water
- 1 to 2 medium sized garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt as required
tadka or tempering ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee or butter
- ¼ teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 2 to 3 medium sized garlic cloves, chopped (lahsun) or crushed with their peels on
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves (pudina patta)
how to make mint moong dal recipe
- clean and wash the moong dal.
pressure cook the moong dal with chopped garlic, turmeric powder in 1.5 cups water.
- open the pressure cooker and mash the dal with a wired whisk or wooden spoon.
- in a small pan, heat oil or ghee or butter.
- first fry the cumin seeds.
- then add chopped garlic. once the garlic. stir.
- then add asafoetida and mint leaves and fry till for some seconds. lastly add red chili powder.
- immediately, pour this tempering/tadka mixture in the dal. stir.
- add salt and simmer the dal for 2-3 minutes.
- if the dal looks thick, then you can add some water and then simmer the dal.
- serve the mint moong dal with rice, chapatis or parathas.
note: as a blogger, if you you want to use this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to this recipe url - mint moong dal recipe on Veg Recipes of India. its a fair and ethical practice. for using our image please write to us. all our images and content are copyright protected.