potato peas kurma recipe with step by step photos – south indian style delicious potato peas kurma made with coconut, poppy seeds, cashews and red chilies.
i had made this potato peas kurma long long time back and the recipe was in the drafts for more than a year…. thats what a long long time is 🙂 so now you know from where the recipes get posted everyday. i don’t cook everyday a special recipe or dish, but i try to make sure that whatever i cook, turns out special. does not happen every time but yes most of the times. i usually end up cooking the regular roti, sabzi, dal and chawal on most days.
i had bookmarked this recipe in a book. by now i don’t even remember which book. thats what happens when you keep on collecting and collecting cookbooks. i even collect newspaper clips and magazine cut outs and still continue to do so.
this is one of the kurma recipe, i liked and hence i am posting it. i have tried many version of kurma or korma till date and never satisfied with the results. i took the final pics, since the taste of this one was nice. this is a homely recipe and not like the restaurant ones.
to save time, i have made the kurma in a pressure cooker. i have mentioned below in notes on how to make the kurma in a pan.
few more kurma recipes on the blog are:
this potato peas kurma goes well with rotis, pooris or even steamed rice. i had made kerala parotta to go with this green peas kurma.
green peas kurma
main ingredients for potato peas kurma
- 1 cup peas (matar) - fresh or frozen
- 1 extra large potato OR 2 medium potatoes - diced
- 1 medium size onion - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 2 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder) * check notes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 medium size tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 2 to 2.5 cups water
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- few coriander leaves for garnishing
to be ground
- 2 teaspoon poppy seeds (khus khus)
- 2 tablespoon fresh coconut or unsweetened desiccated coconut
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - chopped
- 2 to 3 kashmiri red chilies OR 1 to 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- 6 to 7 whole cashews (kaju)
preparation for potato peas kurma
- heat some water and soak the red chilies and cashews in the water for 15-20 mins.
- rinse the peas and keep aside. rinse, peel and dice the potatoes.
- in a grinder or blender, grind cashews, coconut, poppy seeds, ginger and red chilies with little water to a smooth paste.
making potato green peas kurma
- heat 3 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker. add all the whole spices - bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and fry till fragrant.
- add the onions and saute them till golden brown. add the ground paste.
- saute for 3-4 minutes or till the fat leaves the sides of the masala paste.
- now add the spice powders one by one - turmeric powder, coriander powder and fennel powder.
- stir & saute for a minute. add the peas, potato and salt. pour about 2 to 2.5 cups water.
- pressure cook for 3 whistles on a medium to high flame or till the potatoes and peas are cooked.
- if the korma gravy looks watery, then simmer till the gravy thickens a bit.
- if the kurma gravy looks dry, then add some water and simmer potato peas kurma for some more time without the cooker lid.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve the potato peas kurma hot with some rotis, chapatis, phulka, paratha or rice.
* for preparing the kurma in pan - follow the recipe till you add the veggies. add 2.5 to 3 cups water and salt. cover and let the veggies cook till done
NUTRITION INFO (approximate values)
how to make potato green peas kurma
1. heat some water and soak dry red chilies and cashews in the water for 15-20 minutes.
2. rinse matar (green peas) and keep aside. rinse, peel and dice potatoes as well.
3. in a grinder or blender add 6 to 7 cashews, 2 tablespoon fresh grated coconut or desiccated coconut, 2 teaspoon poppy seeds (khuskhus), ½ inch chopped ginger (adrak) and 2 to 3 dry red chilies with little water.
4. grind to a smooth paste.
5. measure all the ingredients and keep ready for making kurma.
making green peas kurma
6. heat 2 to 3 tablespoon oil in a pressure cooker. add all the whole spices – 1 medium sized bay leaf, 2 to 3 cloves, 1 inch cinnamon. saute till fragrant.
7. add 1 medium sized chopped onion.
8. saute onion till golden brown.
9. add the ground paste.
10. saute for 3-4 minutes or till the fat leaves the sides of the masala paste.
11. now add the spice powders one by one – ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi), 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder) and 2 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder).
12. stir and saute for a minute.
13. add 1 cup of green peas (matar) and 2 medium sized chopped potatoes (aloo).
14. stir and mix well.
15. add salt as required.
16. pour about 2 to 2.5 cups water.
17. stir well.
18. pressure cook for 3 whistles on a medium to high flame or till the potatoes and green peas are cooked.
19. here the potato peas korma is all ready to be served. in case, if the gravy looks watery, then simmer till the gravy thickens a bit. if the korma gravy looks thick, then add some water and simmer potato peas korma for some more time without the cooker lid.
20. garnish the potato peas korma with few coriander leaves.
21. serve the potato peas kurma hot with some rotis, chapatis, phulka, paratha or rice.