Potato palya recipe with step by step photos – simple potato masala that is served with davangere dosa.
Davangere benne dosa is a special butter dosa from the city of davangere in central karantaka. The potato palya served with this dosa is very simple and bland in taste. This bland palya accompanies the Spicy coconut chutney very well that is served with Davangere benne dosa.
To make this potato palya, I have just added onions and green chilies. However, if you want you can add some mustard seeds, curry leaves and turmeric powder. The subtle sweetness of the sautéed onions balances the earthy taste of the potatoes very well. Overall what you get is a mild and light tasting potato stuffing, similar to mashed potatoes, which has not been spiced.
You can even serve this potato masala with regular Dosa or Rava dosa or Set dosa. if you prefer a bland or less spiced version. you can also check this Potato bhaji recipe Which is made for Masala dosa or can be served with plain dosa or uttapam also.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 300 grams potatoes or 3 to 4 medium potatoes
- 50 to 60 grams onion or 1 medium onion, chopped or 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 small green chili - finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- Take 300 grams or 3 medium sized potatoes. Rinse them well and then steam or boil them till they are completely cooked.
- If cooking in a pressure cooker, then cook the potatoes for 4 to 5 whistles with enough water.
- When they are still warm or slightly hot, peel and mash them roughly. Keep aside.
making potato palya
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add 1/3 cup chopped onions.
- Saute the onions till translucent.
- Add the finely chopped green chili. If you want you can also add 2 to 3 green chilies. Stir well.
- Then add the roughly mashed potatoes.
- Season with salt. mix very well and saute for a minute.
- Serve potato palya with davangere butter dosa or regular dosa.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
How to make potato palya
1. take 300 grams or 3 to 4 medium sized potatoes. Rinse them well and then steam or boil them till they are completely cooked. If cooking in a pressure cooker, then pressure cook the potatoes for 4 to 5 whistles in enough water.
2. When they are slightly hot or still warm, peel and mash them roughly. Keep aside.
Making potato palya
3. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
4. Stir and begin to saute the onions on a low to medium flame.
5. saute the onions till translucent.
6. Add 1 small green chilli (finely chopped). If you want you can also add 2 to 3 green chilies. Stir well.
7. Then add the roughly mashed potatoes. season with salt.
8. Mix very well
9. saute for a minute. If you want, you can also garnish the potato palya with some chopped coriander leaves.