portuguese tomato rice recipe with step by step photos. this delicious recipe of portuguese tomato rice is dedicated to a few of my portuguese friends. simple and easy to make and still delicious. the rice goes well with mung bean sprouts salad or vegetable salad. portuguese tomato rice is also called as arroz de tomate.
this tomato rice is very similar to the spanish rice recipe, except for the method of cooking. its a little on the bland side as besides black pepper no other spices are added. to give a little spice and heat you can add red chili flakes or red chili powder or you can also check these other similar tomato rice recipes:
while making portuguese tomato rice recipe, make sure to use olive oil only and not any other oil. what olive oil contributes, no other oil can contribute to this tomato rice.
i have made this tomato recipe both with sunflower oil and olive oil. but the flavor and taste is remarkably different with olive oil. sunflower oil makes it too bland both taste wise and flavor wise. so make sure to use a good quality olive oil.
if you do not have olive oil and plan to use sunflower oil, then add some red chili flakes or red chili powder to spice up the tomato rice. otherwise you can team this tomato rice along spicy sabzi or gravy dish like mushroom roast, mushroom chilli fry and paneer chilli fry.
portuguese tomato rice recipe card below:
portuguese tomato rice recipe | arroz de tomate recipe
simple and easy to make delicious portuguese tomato rice recipe.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup rice
- 2 to 3 medium sized tomatoes chopped or 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 medium sized garlic cloves, chopped or crushed
- 1 or 2 bay leaf or tej patta
- ½ cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves) or parsley or equal amounts of coriander leaves and parsley leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- 2.5 to 3 cups vegetable stock or water or add as required
- 1 or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt as required
how to make recipe
- pick, clean and wash the rice.
- heat the olive oil in a deep pan.
add the chopped onions and bay leaves and saute them till the onions become translucent.
add the chopped or crushed garlic cloves and fry till the raw aroma disappears.
- now add the chopped tomatoes.
cook the tomatoes for 2 to 3 minutes or till they become soft.
- add the water or vegetable stock and chopped coriander leaves and parsley and let it come to a boil.
add the rice, salt as required and black pepper powder. cover the pan and let the tomato rice cook till fluffy and done.
- garnish with a few chopped coriander and parsley leaves while serving the portuguese tomato rice.
- serve the tomato rice accompanied with a veggie salad or mung sprouts salad.
- if you don't have olive oil then use sunflower oil. but the best taste and flavor in this tomato rice recipe comes with olive oil.
- with sunflower oil, the taste is little bland and you will have to add some red chili flakes or red chilli power or any other spices of your choice to spice up the rice.
how to make portuguese tomato rice recipe:
1. rinse 1 cup rice couple of times in water and then drain the water.
2. measure all the ingredients and keep ready for the portuguese tomato rice.
3. heat 1 or 2 tablespoon olive oil in a deep pan.
4. add 1 medium sized chopped onion. also add 1 to 2 bay leaf or tej patta.
5. fry till the onions become translucent.
6. then add 2 to 3 chopped or crushed garlic cloves (lahsun).
7. fry till the raw aroma of garlic goes away.
8. then add 2 to 3 medium sized chopped tomatoes.
9. cook the tomatoes till they become soft.
10. pour 2.5 to 3 cups water or vegetable stock or as required depending upon the quality of rice.
11. next add ½ cup chopped coriander leaves or parsley OR equal amounts of coriander leaves and parsley.
12. mix well.
13. let the water come to a boil.
14. then add the rice, salt as required and ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder).
15. mix well.
16. cover the pan and let the tomato rice cook. keep checking after 15 minutes intervals, if the rice appears dry then add little water if required.
17. cook the tomato rice till fluffy and done.
18. garnish with a few chopped coriander and parsley leaves while serving the portuguese tomato rice.
- i started vegrecipesofindia.com in feb 2009. it is a pure vegetarian blog and shares recipes with step by step photos.
i am passionate about cooking from childhood and learnt cooking from my elders. a home science degree course further enhanced my cooking and baking skills professionally along with an internship in a five star hotel. i am trained both in mainstream indian as well as international cuisines.
all the 1800 recipes posted on blog are tried and tested and made healthy wherever possible. the recipes are detailed and with step by step pictures that will easily help you to make delicious and tasty vegetarian food.
- Festival Recipes2018.09.19bhakarwadi recipe, how to make bhakarwadi recipe | bakarwadi recipe
- Festival Recipes2018.09.05kozhukattai recipe, how to make kozhukattai recipe for ganesh chaturthi
- Dinner Recipes2018.08.01macaroni recipe | indian style macaroni recipe | macaroni pasta recipe
- Cooking Tips & Methods2018.07.24custard recipe, how to make custard | vanilla custard recipe