pomegranate chutney recipe with step by step photos. anardana chutney is a spicy and tangy chutney recipe. this chutney is made with dry pomegranate seeds also called as anardana.
these pomegranate seeds have a faint sweetness and a tang to them. in india we use them basically as souring agents in curry recipes and even in stuffed parathas. you can even add them to your salads. they add a good dose of flavor and taste to any dish.
you can buy anardana from a good grocery store. i generally use anardana in aloo paratha, aloo sabzi, punjabi chole masala, raita, chutneys and salads.
this pomegranate chutney is a quick and easy chutney recipe and can be made within 15 minutes. along with anardana, onions, green chilies, coriander and mint are also added in the chutney. i have also added some organic unrefined cane sugar in this chutney but addition of sugar is optional. however, adding sugar does give a punch to the chutney.
the pomegranate chutney would be a good accompaniment or a dip with pakoras, fritters, samosa or tandoori snacks or grilled snacks like paneer tikka, aloo tikka. they would also be great with grilled veggies or fruits. i served the pomegranate chutney with gobi pakoras.
you can also have this pomegranate chutney as a side dish with an indian meal. if stored in fridge then the pomegranate chutney stays well for 3-4 days.
if you are looking for more chutney recipes then do check:
dry pomegranate chutney
- 3 to 4 teaspoon dry pomegranate seeds (anardana)
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped (dhania patta)
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped (pudina patta)
- ½ teaspoon cumin or cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- a few drops of lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar or as required
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- 3 to 4 tablespoon water for grinding the chutney
- black salt or rock salt as required
- wash the dry pomegranate seeds well in water.
- add all the ingredients in a blender with some water.
- grind them till smooth.
- serve the pomegranate chutney as a dip with pakoras, fritters, samosa or tandoori snacks like paneer tikka, mushroom tikka.
- the pomegranate chutney stays well for 3-4 days in the fridge.
how to make pomegranate chutney recipe
1. measure and keep all the ingredients required for the chutney.
2. wash 3 to 4 teaspoon dry pomegranate seeds (anardana) well in water.
3. add 1 medium sized chopped onion, ¼ cup mint leaves and ½ cup chopped coriander leaves into the blender.
4. next add dry pomegranate seeds and 1 chopped green chili.
5. also add ½ teaspoon regular sugar, ½ teaspoon chaat masala and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (or cumin powder).
6. lastly add few drops of lemon juice and black salt as required.
7. now blend all the ingredients with some water.
8. blend the anardana chutney till smooth.
serve the pomegranate chutney as a dip with pakoras, fritters, samosa or tandoori snacks like paneer tikka, mushroom tikka. the pomegranate chutney stays well for 3-4 days in the fridge.