pressure cooker pav bhaji with step by step photos – easy method of preparing delicious pav bhaji using pressure cooker.
there are some times when i prepare pav bhaji in pressure cooker. so i thought i will share this method too. its easy and does save some time. plus the bhaji also tastes good. so when in a hurry or when you have unexpected guests, you can consider this recipe of preparing pav bhaji in pressure cooker.
i have already shared few more quick and easy versions of some recipes made in pressure cooker like:
- vegetable biryani in pressure cooker
- rajma masala in pressure cooker
- paneer biryani in pressure cooker
- how to make ladi pav in pressure cooker
- how to make cake in pressure cooker
the recipe of pav bhaji is similar to the way i prepare it with the usual method. you can also check this mumbai pav bhaji recipe which is made in a pan (kadai). but here the preparation method is different. usually pav bhaji on street side stalls is made on very large tawas. at home we can use a pan or a kadai. but with pressure cooker, everything is cooked one pot and this cooking method does make things easier. other variations of pav bhaji posted on blog are:
whenever i prepare pav bhaji, i also prepare home made pav. i had made whole wheat pavs to go with the pav bhaji. also i have used homemade pav bhaji masala powder in the recipe, which is far better than ready made powder.
pav bhaji in cooker
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 250 grams potato OR 3 medium or 2 large potatoes OR 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 100 grams onion OR 1 large onion OR 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 300 grams tomatoes OR 3 large tomatoes OR 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 100 grams cauliflower OR ¾ to 1 cup chopped cauliflower florets (gobi)
- 100 grams carrot OR 1 medium to large carrot OR ¾ cup chopped carrots (gajar)
- ⅓ cup chopped capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- ½ cup green peas - fresh or frozen (matar)
other ingredients for pav bhaji
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste (adrak lahsun ka paste)
- 2 to 3 green chilies (hari mirch) - chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoons kashmiri red chilli powder
- 2 cups water
- salt as per taste
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoons pav bhaji masala
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter to be added later
- ½ cup finely chopped onion + 2 tablespoons coriander leaves - mixed well
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves (dhania patta or cilantro leaves)
- 1 lemon - chopped in wedges
- butter as required while topping bhaji
- 10 to 12 pav
- butter as required for roasting pav
How to Make Recipe
making quick pav bhaji in pressure cooker
- firstly chop all the veggies and keep them ready. you can add your choice of veggies.
- heat butter in a 3 litre pressure cooker. add cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- then add chopped onions. mix the onions very well and saute them on a low to medium flame till they turn translucent.
- next add ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chilies. stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- then add capsicum followed by chopped tomatoes. stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- then add turmeric powder and red chilli powder. mix them very well with the veggies.
- add the chopped veggies and green peas. mix very well.
- add water. season with salt and mix very well.
- pressure cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 whistles or 11 to 12 minutes.
- when pressure settles down on its own, open the lid.
- mash the cooked veggies well.
- add pav bhaji masala powder. also add 1 to 2 tablespoon butter. adding butter is optional and you can skip it. mix very well.
- keep the cooker back on stove top and on a low flame simmer the bhaji till it thickens a bit on a low to medium flame for 6 to 8 minutes.
- once done cover and keep aside. do check the taste and add more pav bhaji masala, salt, red chili powder or butter if required.
roasting pav for pav bhaji
- for the pav, heat a tawa and melt some butter on it.
- on a low-medium flame, place sliced pavs on it. let the pav soak the butter and become warm. if you want you can even lightly toast the pavs.
- serve pav bhaji garnished with coriander leaves and topped with butter.
- also accompany chopped onions, coriander leaves and lemon wedges. serve the butter toasted pav also with the bhaji.
- oil can be used instead of butter.
- less or more butter can be added as per your requirements.
- kashmiri red chili powder gives a nice color, so do consider adding it. if using any other red chili powder, then add less or more.
- you can add your choice of veggies.
how to make quick pav bhaji in pressure cooker
1. firstly chop all the veggies and keep them ready. you can add your choice of veggies. i have used a mix of potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, peas and capsicum.
2. heat 2 tablespoons butter in a 3 litre pressure cooker.
3. add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
4. then add 1 cup finely chopped onions.
5. mix the onions very well and saute them on a low to medium flame..
6. saute the onions till they turn translucent.
7. next add 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste and 2 or 3 chopped green chilies.
8. stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
9. then add ⅓ cup chopped capsicum.
10. next add 2 cups chopped tomatoes.
11. stir and saute for tomatoes for two minutes.
12. add the ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 to 1.5 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder. if using any other red chili powder, then you can add less or more of it.
13. mix the spice powders very well with the remaining masala.
14. add the chopped veggies and green peas.
15. mix very well.
16. add 2 cups water.
17. season with salt and mix very well.
18. pressure cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 whistles or 11 to 12 minutes.
19. when the pressure settles down on its own in the cooker then open the lid.
20. mash the cooked veggies well.
21. below a pic of the mashed bhaji.
22. add pav bhaji masala powder.
23. also add 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter. you can skip the butter if you want.
24. mix very well.
25. keep the cooker back on stove top and on a low flame simmer the bhaji for 6 to 8 minutes on a low to medium flame, till it thickens a bit. stir a couple of times, so that the bhaji does not stick to the bottom of the cooker. once done cover and keep the bhaji aside. do check the taste and add salt, butter, kashmiri red chili powder or pav bhaji masala if required.
for the pav, heat a tawa and melt some butter on it.
place sliced pavs on it.
let the pav soak the butter and become warm. if you want you can even lightly toast the pavs.
serve pav bhaji garnished with coriander leaves and topped with butter. also accompany chopped onions + coriander leaves and lemon wedges. serve the butter toasted pav also with the bhaji.