no onion no garlic paneer butter masala recipe. creamy, tangy and a spiced tomato and paneer based dish made without onion and garlic.
paneer is one ingredient that is liked by us and so i do make many dishes with it. the paneer butter masala recipe i make is much appreciated at home and the recipe posted on the blog has been tried and tested my many readers.
so i thought of sharing a no onion no garlic paneer butter masala too. generally onions are not added to paneer butter masala gravy. the garlic added in the form of garlic paste, does contribute towards the overall flavor of the dish. here we have used asafoetida to mimic the garlic flavor and some whole spices.
to make any butter masala or makhani gravy, you need tomatoes. and the tomatoes have to be ripe, red with a mild sweetness. avoid using tomatoes which are sour or ‘khatta’ as we call in hindi. the gravy becomes sour and addition of sugar does not help much. this butter masala gravy is not very heavy or rich as i have not used cream and added less cashews. if you want you can add cream. i have mentioned the proportions in the recipe instructions and step wise pics below.
you can make this recipe during navratri fasting by skipping the asafoetida, garam masala powder, kasuri methi and adding rock salt instead of regular salt. i have also posted no onion no garlic version of palak paneer recipe. few more popular no onion no garlic recipes on blog are:
no onion-garlic paneer butter masala
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
for tomato puree
- 4 medium tomatoes Or 300 grams tomatoes Or 2 cups diced tomatoes- pureed
for cashew paste:
- 15 to 18 cashews, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
- 3 to 4 tablespoon water for grinding cashew
whole spices for paneer butter masala
- 1 tejpatta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 to 3 cloves (lavang)
- ½ inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 1 single strand of mace (javitri)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
other ingredients for paneer butter masala
- 200 to 250 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder or deghi mirch
- 1.25 cups water or add as required
- ½ teaspoon ginger paste Or ½ inch ginger - crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) - slit
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) - crushed
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 2 tablespoon low fat cream (optional)
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon sugar, add as per taste and depending on the sourness of the tomatoes
- salt as required
How to Make Recipe
preparing cashew paste
- soak 12 to 15 cashews in a hot water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- then drain and add the soaked cashews in a blender or grinder.
- add 2 to 3 tbsp water and grind to a smooth paste.
- remove the cashew paste and keep aside.
preparing tomato puree
- in the same blender add chopped tomatoes.
- blend to a smooth tomato puree. keep aside.
making paneer butter masala without onion garlic
- now heat 2 to 3 tbsp butter in a pan or kadai.
- allow the butter to melt.
- then add the whole spices mentioned above in the ingredient list.
- saute the spices till they become fragrant.
- add ginger paste and saute the ginger paste till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
- add the prepared tomato puree. stir very well and simmer for 3 minutes.
- then add 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder.
- stir and saute the tomato paste till you see fat releasing from the sides and top.
- then add the cashew paste.
- begin to stir and mix the cashew paste very well with the tomato paste. continue to saute on a low to medium flame, till you see specks of fat on the sides or on the top.
- then add water and stir very well.
- bring the gravy to a boil and then add ginger julienne and slit green chilies.
- season with salt. check the taste and add sugar as required. i added 1/4 tsp sugar. you can add from 1/4 tsp to 1 tsp depending on sourness or 'khatas' of the tomatoes.
- when butter masala gravy thickens a bit and you see fat specks on the top, then add paneer cubes. simmer for a minute.
- now add crushed kasuri methi and garam masala powder. at this step, if you want you can add 2 to 3 tbsp of low fat cream or 1 to 2 tbsp of whipping cream.
- stir and switch off the flame.
- garnish this no onion no garlic paneer butter masala with chopped coriander leaves.
- serve paneer butter masala with chapatis, rotis, steamed rice or jeera rice.
preparation for no onion no garlic paneer butter masala
1. soak 12 to 15 cashews in a hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. when the cashews are soaking, you can prep the other ingredients like chopping tomatoes, slicing paneer etc.
2. then drain and add the soaked cashews in a blender or grinder.
3. add 2 to 3 tbsp water and grind to a smooth paste without any tiny bits or pieces of cashews.
4. remove the cashew paste and keep aside.
5. in the same blender add 2 cups of diced or roughly chopped tomatoes. no need to blanch the tomatoes before blending.
6. blend to a smooth tomato puree. keep aside. don’t add any water while blending the tomatoes.
making no onion no garlic paneer butter masala
7. now heat 2 to 3 tbsp butter in a pan or kadai.
8. allow the butter to melt.
9. then add the following spices – 1 tejpatta (indian bay leaf), 2 to 3 cloves, ½ inch cinnamon, 2 green cardamoms, 1 single strand of mace and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
10. saute the spices till they become fragrant.
11. add ½ tsp ginger paste. stir and saute the ginger paste till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
12. add the prepared tomato puree.
13. stir very well and simmer for 3 mins. if the mixture splutters, then just cover the pan or kadai partly with a lid.
14. then add 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder or deghi mirch. if using any other red chili powder, use ½ tsp of it.
15. stir and then saute the tomato paste till you see fat releasing from the sides and top.
16. then the cashew paste.
17. begin to stir and mix the cashew paste very well with the tomato paste.
18. continue to saute on a low to medium flame.
19. saute till you see fat specks on the sides or on the top. the masala paste would also reduce.
20. then add 1.25 cups water. for a thick consistency, you can add 1 cup water.
21. again stir very well.
22. bring the gravy to a boil and then add ginger julienne (½ inch ginger, julienne) and slit green chilies ( 1 green chili, slit).
23. then add salt.
24. check the taste and add sugar as required. i added ¼ tsp sugar. you can add from ¼ tsp to 1 tsp depending on sourness or ‘khattas’ of the tomatoes.
25. when the gravy thickens a bit and you see fat specks on the top, its time to proceed to the next step.
26. add paneer cubes. simmer for a minute.
27. then add 1 tsp kasuri methi (crushed) and ½ tsp garam masala powder. at this step, if you want you can add 2 to 3 tbsp of low fat cream or 1 to 2 tbsp of whipping cream.
28. stir and switch off the flame.
29. garnish the delicious no onion no garlic paneer butter masala with 1 to 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and serve with chapatis, pudina paratha, butter naan, steamed rice or jeera rice or biryani rice or garam masala rice or ghee rice.